Do you feel more or less patriotic since the EU Referendum ?

Since the Referendum do you feel more or less patriotic ?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Since the Referendum do you feel more or less patriotic ?

• More patriotic
    • Less patriotic
    • No difference

I still prefer English, go live in Scotland for a while, it will make you feel more English.

I think it depends whereabouts in Scotland. Shetland, for example, is not like most of Scotland. It`s extremely friendly and not at all anti English. Not that most Scots are anti English I have to say, and we go to Scotland fairly regularly.

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 09:48 ----------

Netherlands

Poland

Finland

Germany...

Those have 'mentioned' about following us and possibly having their own referendum, nothing official yet though from any of them :)

Some say the British referendum could be the catalyst which ends up in a rewriting of the EU rules on free movement of people. I`m unsure whether that`s a good thing*, but it would at least give the Remain campaign a sound reason to call another referendum since the circumstances would have fundamentally changed.

* The basic problem is the free movement rules were suited to countries with a similar standard of living, but they now also apply to newer Eastern European countries with a significantly lower standard of living. If you then add in the fact the migrants can claim benefits (not that most come here to do that or even end up doing that) you can see why some of the less well informed members of our electorate have come to certain conclusions...... That said, they can`t actually claim benefits for 6 months anyway, was it Cameron who negotiated that ? I still don`t understand why the Remain campaign never used that.

Edited by Justin Smith

Less patriotic. Millions of xenophobes. Laughing stock of Europe.

Britain has been the laughing stock of Europe for a long time fella, those pesky little foreigners only tolerate the British when they are spending money in their tourist resorts, most of the time they sneer and despise us, do yourself a favour and stop being a drama queen :D

I think it depends whereabouts in Scotland. Shetland, for example, is not like most of Scotland. It`s extremely friendly and not at all anti English. Not that most Scots are anti English I have to say, and we go to Scotland fairly regularly.

Some say the British referendum could be the catalyst which ends up in a rewriting of the EU rules on free movement of people. I`m unsure whether that`s a good thing*, but it would at least give the Remain campaign a sound reason to call another referendum since the circumstances would have fundamentally changed.

* The basic problem is the free movement rules were suited to countries with a similar standard of living, but they now also apply to newer Eastern European countries with a significantly lower standard of living. If you then add in the fact the migrants can claim benefits (not that most come here to do that or even end up doing that) you can see why some of the less well informed members of our electorate have come to certain conclusions...... That said, they can`t actually claim benefits for 6 months anyway, was it Cameron who negotiated that ? I still don`t understand why the Remain campaign never used that.

I wasn't saying they are unfriendly, just very nationalistic.

Less patriotic. Millions of xenophobes. Laughing stock of Europe.

Europe itself is full of xenophobes, plenty of EU country's have refused to accept refugee quotas by the EU...

Poland as an example= http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/poland-refuses-to-take-a-single-refugee-because-of-security-fears-a7020076.html

How many polish have come to Britain to work? Close to a million yet they use security as an excuse to bar any refugees from their own country.

Edited by mafya

Not my loss of self esteem.

sorry just you said you felt a laughing stock

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 12:06 ----------

Was that not just, in work benefits, which is totally different general benefits

Edited by phil752

Britain has been the laughing stock of Europe for a long time fella, those pesky little foreigners only tolerate the British when they are spending money in their tourist resorts, most of the time they sneer and despise us, do yourself a favour and stop being a drama queen :D

Are you serious ? If so how much travelling have you done ? I`ve done a fair amount and that`s not my experience at all. On balance I`d say the French were the least friendly, but even most of the French are actually friendly enough. One of my mates is French, and a more friendly guy you could not meet. I`ll always remember when he was over here for the final evening of Athletics in the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, he was standing up belting out Land Of Hope And Glory (we won six gold medals so it was sung a few times) with the rest of us, it was great.

* in a French accent

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 13:31 ----------

I wasn't saying they are unfriendly, just very nationalistic.

I wouldn`t say all the Scots or Welsh come to that, were "very nationalistic". Obviously that varies by area, NW Wales being more so. I would say that England is more nationalistic than it was before the Referendum. That vote has a lot to answer for......

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 13:33 ----------

Europe itself is full of xenophobes, plenty of EU country's have refused to accept refugee quotas by the EU...

Poland as an example= http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/poland-refuses-to-take-a-single-refugee-because-of-security-fears-a7020076.html

How many polish have come to Britain to work? Close to a million yet they use security as an excuse to bar any refugees from their own country.

I would agree that`s hypocritical.

Edited by Justin Smith

Depends if we judging ourselves by Poland standards. To be fair EU migrants make a net contribution on figures.

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 14:25 ----------

They sneer and despise us cos we go to places like Spain as health tourists and call ourselves ex-pats. They come here and we call them "migrants". Sums up the general attitude of brits in Europe.

Are you serious ? If so how much travelling have you done ? I`ve done a fair amount and that`s not my experience at all. On balance I`d say the French were the least friendly, but even most of the French are actually friendly enough. One of my mates is French, and a more friendly guy you could not meet. I`ll always remember when he was over here for the final evening of Athletics in the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, he was standing up belting out Land Of Hope And Glory (we won six gold medals so it was sung a few times) with the rest of us, it was great.

* in a French accent

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 13:31 ----------

I wouldn`t say all the Scots or Welsh come to that, were "very nationalistic". Obviously that varies by area, NW Wales being more so. I would say that England is more nationalistic than it was before the Referendum. That vote has a lot to answer for......

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 13:33 ----------

I would agree that`s hypocritical.

I think it was the Scottish ref, rather than the latter one that has given us a more nationalistic view point.

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 15:04 ----------

Depends if we judging ourselves by Poland standards. To be fair EU migrants make a net contribution on figures.

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 14:25 ----------

They sneer and despise us cos we go to places like Spain as health tourists and call ourselves ex-pats. They come here and we call them "migrants". Sums up the general attitude of brits in Europe.

we go to Spain as health tourist? Net contribution on figures , what about infrastructure

Edited by phil752

I think it was the Scottish ref, rather than the latter one that has given us a more nationalistic view point.

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 15:04 ----------

we go to Spain as health tourist? Net contribution on figures , what about infrastructure

Yes, old people, health tourists.

Yes, old people, health tourists.

Yep, me and my missus are elderly health tourists. We've been on holiday about eighty times to Europe including about forty times to Spain.

Oh hang about a bit, each time we've paid for lnsurance including medical, perhaps we can now get that money back as we were health tourists and didn't need it. You must be taking the shaving water.