Do you feel more or less patriotic since the EU Referendum ?

Since the Referendum do you feel more or less patriotic ?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Since the Referendum do you feel more or less patriotic ?

• More patriotic
    • Less patriotic
    • No difference

No sour grapes here, just a determination to prevent a catastrophe for our country. That is nothing to be ashamed about.

There is time to prevent the worst case, and I'm confident we will at least prevent hard Brexit.

Assuming you voted on 23rd June, then you have played your part in the outcome of the referendum result. There is nothing more you can do now and you are deluded if you think otherwise.

---------- Post added 19-09-2016 at 08:06 ----------

Still not really seeing anyones point as to why they are feeling more or less patriotic.

I doubt it would get the same result if another ine was run next week, but I think most people accpeted it happened and we need to get on with things. Nobody will know the full impact until many years in the future when we cna look back and see what effect it had.

Perhaps, patriotism will increase on the first of January 2019, when we start life again outside the EU. I think the Olympics will be the reason for any increase in patriotism this year.

I agree, it will be a few years before we know the full impact of BREXIT.

Edited by Gamston

It IS a self serving dictatorship and the sooner we trigger article 50 ,the better.

It isn't a dictatorship, that is just a sound bite used by people who are liars or don't know anything about the EU. It isn't self serving, many people across Europe have been perfectly happy with what the EU has done and accomplished. Accomplishments made possible by our democratically elected decision makers.

Assuming you voted on 23rd June, then you have played your part in the outcome of the referendum result. There is nothing more you can do now and you are deluded if you think otherwise..

Get real. This isn't over by a long shot.

People have got every right to try and influence the next steps, even if they voted remain. If we Brexit then it has to be on the least damaging terms.

It isn't a dictatorship, that is just a sound bite used by people who are liars or don't know anything about the EU. It isn't self serving, many people across Europe have been perfectly happy with what the EU has done and accomplished. Accomplishments made possible by our democratically elected decision makers.

Who elected Jean-Claude Juncker ?

---------- Post added 19-09-2016 at 08:52 ----------

Get real. This isn't over by a long shot.

People have got every right to try and influence the next steps, even if they voted remain. If we Brexit then it has to be on the least damaging terms.

You need to get real and accept the UK is leaving the EU and you have no influence in the BREXIT negotiations. The decision to leave has been made for better or worse.

]

You need to get real and accept the UK is leaving the EU and you have no influence in the BREXIT negotiations. The decision to leave has been made for better or worse.

Er, yes remainers do have influence. As you are going to find out. It would be political suicide to ignore what is going to be increasing opposition.

I feel embarrassed that in a time when we need to be looking at ways to work together, the UK is following a path of isolationism coupled with a rise in racism.

I understand the reasons why many wish for the UK to control its borders. The camp in Calais is case and point and evidence that the EU is not dealing with refugees and economic migrants effectively and choosing to push the problem on to the next neighbour.

Germany is to blame for a great deal of the problem. Their open door policy, which is nothing more than an effort to import as many able bodied people as possible to underpin their falling birthrate. France is not blameless either. They have the power to empty the Sangatte camp but choose to ignore it. The draw of the UK is nothing more of a modern telling of the Dick Whittington story, where the traffickers are selling our country as a package deal to would be (illegal) immigrants.

Who elected Jean-Claude Juncker ?
The heads of the 28 EU states first, most of whom elected by universal suffrage (except Cameron obviously, since he wasn't elected: his party's MPs were, in sufficient numbers), then the EU Parliament who validated their choice, comprised entirely of MEPs, all of whom elected by universal suffrage.

But yeah, obviously a dictatorship, right?

:roll:

52% of the people believed 100% that it was the right thing to do :roll:

Do you really believe that everyone who voted to leave, or indeed voted to stay, thought it was 100% the right thing to do ? Particularly as none of them could possibly know what the consequences are going to be. Even now (three months later ! ) the Brexit minister and all his fellow Brexiteers are saying we can have full access to the single market without paying any EU contribution and without free movement of people. As far as I`m aware every single person from the EU side has said that is not going to happen. If there`s ever been a subject in politics where so much blind wishful thinking and open lying has occurred I`d be very surprised......

---------- Post added 19-09-2016 at 09:28 ----------

I doubt it would get the same result if another ine was run next week, but I think most people accpeted it happened and we need to get on with things. Still not really seeing anyones point as to why they are feeling more or less patriotic. Nobody will know the full impact until many years in the future when we cna look back and see what effect it had.

Ahh back onto the thread subject at last.

I feel less patriotic because my European Citizenship is being taken from me without my consent.

I feel less patriotic because, whether right or wrong, fair or unfair, the fact we've voted to leave the EU (albeit with a narrow majority) makes us look like a bit of a Xenophobic country that doesn't want much to do with its European neighbours. We`re going to Crete soon and I like standing in the passport queue marked EU passport holders with my fellow EU citizens. In fact were joking whether we should have T Shorts printed with "We voted to stay in Europe !" so all our fellow Europeans don`t think we were some of those who voted to leave. That just about sums it up.

There are other reasons I`m dissatisfied with the possibility we may be leaving the EU (economic uncertainty, lack of influence, less secure, particularly with a mad man neck and neck in the polls to be the next US President....) but they don`t make me feel less patriotic.

Edited by Justin Smith

The heads of the 28 EU states first, most of whom elected by universal suffrage (except Cameron obviously, since he wasn't elected: his party's MPs were, in sufficient numbers), then the EU Parliament who validated their choice, comprised entirely of MEPs, all of whom elected by universal suffrage.

But yeah, obviously a dictatorship, right?

:roll:

He was chosen for the position. The election, if you can call it that was a show of hands after Cameron objected to his appointment. There were no other candidates to choose from.