Do you feel more or less patriotic since the EU Referendum ?

Since the Referendum do you feel more or less patriotic ?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Since the Referendum do you feel more or less patriotic ?

• More patriotic
    • Less patriotic
    • No difference

Perhaps, patriotism will increase on the first of January 2019, when we start life again outside the EU. I think the Olympics will be the reason for any increase in patriotism this year.

Not for me and my family.....

---------- Post added 19-09-2016 at 09:34 ----------

I'm just as unpatriotic as I was before the referendum. Patriotism is just a means to get people to risk their lives in wars that benefit someone else.

Surely we have to distinguish between hard and soft patriotism here ? Or, to put it another way, patriotism and Nationalism.

He was chosen for the position. The election, if you can call it that was a show of hands after Cameron objected to his appointment.
So he was chosen by a vote majority show of hands?

And got the job despite 1/28th of the vote show of hands going against him?

LOLZ :hihi:

There were no other candidates to choose from.
Wrong again :roll:

Well done L00b. Keep posting the facts and eventually, we hope, some will realise their opposition to the EU was based on lies.
I expect many's opposition to the EU was, and remains, based on jingoistic narrow-mindedness, with the campaign lies just a useful smokescreen.

As suggested by Gamston's earlier post, under which Juncker shouldn't have got the job simply because Cameron opposed the appointment. As if Cameron's hand alone was (or should be) worth 14 or 15 hands :roll:

It's that railroaded and pig-headed mindset which will, eventually through exerting the requisite political pressure, turn Brexit negotiations into a hard Brexit.

The hard lessons should then follow in due course. And of course, the cretinous contingent will be sold another crate of pups to steer the discontent away from the non-cretinous contingent who orchestrated the deed.

So he was chosen by a vote majority show of hands?

And got the job despite 1/28th of the vote show of hands going against him?

LOLZ :hihi:

Wrong again :roll:

I think Cameron was supported by the leader of Hungary, which made it two hands against his appointment. The point is Cameron was seen as a trouble maker for questioning Junker's appointment and no one really wanted Junker to be president. There was a big fuss about the decision in the News at the time.

---------- Post added 19-09-2016 at 10:38 ----------

Normally when there is an election there is a ballot, then there is an official result of the outcome of votes cast. Please can you provide a link to a site which gives information about the number of votes each of the 'candidates' received ?

I think Cameron was supported by the leader of Hungary, which made it two hands against his appointment. The point is Cameron was seen as a trouble maker for questioning Junker's appointment and no one really wanted Junker to be president. There was a big fuss about the decision in the News at the time.

---------- Post added 19-09-2016 at 10:38 ----------

Normally when there is an election there is a ballot, then there is an official result of the outcome of votes cast. Please can you provide a link to a site which gives information about the number of votes each of the 'candidates' received ?

You asked who elected Juncker, in reply to Fogey's post arguing the non-dictatorial character of EU institutions, in a clear attempt to suggest that Juncker was unelected (an old favourite (-lie) of the Leave side during the referendum campaign).

I enlightened you: Juncker was elected by a vote of the respective heads of the 28 EU member states (the 'European Council'), which vote was subjected to the approval of the EU Parliament.

You then claimed that there were no other candidates, in a clear attempt to suggest that Juncker was selected rather than elected.

I enlightened you again: there were 4 other candidates (whose names are known to all: Schulz, Verhofstadt, Keller, Tspiras) for the presidency of the EU Commission.

Do you have any idea what your latest request for "evidence" of a "ballot" looks like? I mean, beside desperation?

I'm afraid your bad faith have now lost you my courtesy on here.

Edited by L00b

You asked who elected Juncker, in reply to Fogey's post arguing the non-dictatorial character of EU institutions, in a clear attempt to suggest that Juncker was unelected (an old favourite (-lie) of the Leave side during the referendum campaign).

I enlightened you: Juncker was elected by a vote of the respective heads of the 28 EU member states (the 'European Council'), which vote was subjected to the approval of the EU Parliament.

You then claimed that there were no other candidates, in a clear attempt to suggest that Juncker was selected rather than elected.

I enlightened you again: there were 4 other candidates (whose names are known to all: Schulz, Verhofstadt, Keller, Tspiras) for the presidency of the EU Commission.

Do you have any idea what your latest request for "evidence" of a "ballot" looks like? I mean, beside desperation?

I'm afraid your bad faith have now lost you my courtesy on here.

I don't think it was unreasonable to politely ask how many votes the 'five' candidates received for the presidency of the EU.

I assume as a consequence of your touchy reply, then there is no information available, which concludes to any unbiased and reasonable person that Junker was selected rather than elected. :suspect:

I don't think it was unreasonable to politely ask how many votes the 'five' candidates received for the presidency of the EU.
You don't say! :hihi:

I assume as a consequence of your touchy reply, then there is no information available, which concludes to any unbiased and reasonable person that Junker was selected rather than elected. :suspect:
You know what they say about ASSuming? :D

I went with "no difference", but I almost clicked less. If you'd asked me a month ago...

Too many people on both sides being [expletive deleted] to each other. Politics doesn't have to be like that. It was rather embarrassing to be part of at times.

Yes these are serious matters and they're important. I get worked up myself. There are limits though.

Oh and to the OP: I feel European too. We'll still be European after we leave.

But I just don't believe the European super-state is a good idea, and I really don't like the way the nascent super-state is run.

Edited by unbeliever