Would you vote for an openly gay MP to be Prime Minster?

Would you vote for an openly gay MP to be Prime Minster?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Would you vote for an openly gay MP to be Prime Minster?

• Yes I would
    • Get lost wouldn't waste my vote
    • Depends on personlity
    • Depends on policy

The Dutch prime minister is, rumoured to be, gay. Nice fella as well. The poll is a bit odd though, I wouldn't vote for someone because they are gay, I'd vote for the policy they stand for...

There is a big difference between rumours and someone being openly gay. There have been rumours about Sir Edward Heath and William Hague being gay. The most notorious British gay politician I can think of, was Jeremy Thorpe.

There is a big difference between rumours and someone being openly gay. There have been rumours about Sir Edward Heath and William Hague being gay. The most notorious British gay politician I can think of, was Jeremy Thorpe.

I'm not saying you're a bit behind the times but there are two gay people in the current cabinet according to google.

I can't see one being elected the leader of either the Labour or the Conservative party.

The leader of the Scottish Conservatives (who is very popular within the party and some see her as a potential future national party leader) is openly lesbian.

The leader of the Scottish Conservatives (who is very popular within the party and some see her as a potential future national party leader) is openly lesbian.

Ruth Davidson is her name, but she is not a member of the Westminster Parliament.

---------- Post added 17-09-2016 at 21:45 ----------

I'm not saying you're a bit behind the times but there are two gay people in the current cabinet according to google.

I most likely am behind the times :)

If that persons only policy or selling point would be open gayness - no way in hell.

I would prefer prime minister to be someone with political views and goals voted in based on that. You know - merit.

As for eastern Europe comment - Poland has openly gay city mayor, ex member of parliament and gay MPs.

Czechs have gays in parliament.

Slovaks too. And Lithuanians.

Latvians have gay minister.

I guess we are not progressive enough. We need to elect token gay fast.

Black muslim crossdressing gay would tick most boxes.

Is this some sort of leftie troll baiting tread?

I can't believe we agree but we do. Ridiculous thread. Honestly does anyone ever vaguely care about anyone else sexuality these days?

Are you drunk sir?

I wish :hihi:

---------- Post added 17-09-2016 at 22:53 ----------

The Dutch prime minister is, rumoured to be, gay. Nice fella as well. The poll is a bit odd though, I wouldn't vote for someone because they are gay, I'd vote for the policy they stand for...

The poll is based on the things needed to be a leader , personality important for public relations, policy all parties must have basic ideas on issues to function when in office. Would the electorate see the persons personal life affecting their ability to rule. Just recently after the EU vote and the Tories faced a leadership crisis some judged Thersa May as not been fit be a Prme Minster because she didn't have children so could not understand family issues ( remember it politics so the mud going to be throw about) these sort of things can affect a persons chances to get in office.

---------- Post added 17-09-2016 at 22:58 ----------

I can't believe we agree but we do. Ridiculous thread. Honestly does anyone ever vaguely care about anyone else sexuality these days?
You might think that but when ballot paper is in front of them its surprising. This thread not about left or right politics its about all parties. Edited by crookedspire