Would you vote for an openly gay MP to be Prime Minster?

Would you vote for an openly gay MP to be Prime Minster?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Would you vote for an openly gay MP to be Prime Minster?

• Yes I would
    • Get lost wouldn't waste my vote
    • Depends on personlity
    • Depends on policy

Well, you're answering a question directed at Shims there FJ.

But, okay, so what practical affect on your voting does the desire for an atheist prime minister or religious prime minister have (since to my knowledge all the party leaders claim to be practising Christians).

I'm not sure which desire this expresses

Matter in a positive way or a negative way is unclear.

Corbyn is mysterious in disclosing his faith only saying he isn't an atheist.

But, okay, so what practical affect on your voting does the desire for an atheist prime minister or religious prime minister have (since to my knowledge all the party leaders claim to be practising Christians).
Very little in the elections I've voted in in my lifetime but that may change.

My preference is not necessarily for an atheist, it's for someone committed to secularism, I just find that the more religious someone is and the more seriously they take their religion, the less secular their outlook tends to be (even when they're in a minority religion and they need secularism to avoid persecution).

Perhaps a secularist would be more interested in evidence lead policy, that (ELP) would be enough to convince me to vote for anyone of any political party if I believed that they honestly would enact policies based on the evidence and not on preconceptions and whims.

There was a program on television last night showing clips from the 70's. One of the clips featured an homosexual candidate canvassing to be a MP in Durham. Basically they were asking the question "Would you vote for an openly homosexual candidate to be your MP?"

I don't think he got elected because the consensus in the program at the time, was that it would be about 30 years before an homosexual would be elected as a MP.

I suspect a lot of the people who said they wouldn't vote for a gay PM are thinking that like most of us they vote for the policy and the sexuality doesn't matter. At least I hope that's the reason. Otherwise <tears>.

---------- Post added 21-09-2016 at 10:33 ----------

I wouldn't vote for an openly gay MP. But I might vote for closet one.

You probably already have ?

It really does baffle me that some do not seem to comprehend that there is so much more to a person than their race, religion or sexuality!

If it was me being elected to tick a box rather than merit then the job would not be an achievement for me. Equality should mean just that.

I suspect a lot of the people who said they wouldn't vote for a gay PM are thinking that like most of us they vote for the policy and the sexuality doesn't matter. At least I hope that's the reason. Otherwise <tears>.

Possibly yes. I hope so. I believe that Solero is the only person so far that has written that they wouldn't do so, perhaps they would care to divulge the reason why?