Supertram future- consultation

Has anyone completed the 'consultation'?

Little bit of a waste of time?

A couple of vague questions and then the usual rubbish about age, gender, shoe size, hair colour etc etc etc

It was a lot easier/simpler and less judgemental than Cineworld online survey.

Personally I don't think extending the network using street running is the way forward - for rail to do what it does best, that is moving large numbers of people quickly and efficiently, it needs to be on segregated track. If the trams get stuck in the same traffic and delayed with everyone else, you may as well stick with buses rather than investing in tramway infrastructure. Obviously there is a place for street running - in the heart of the City Centre where space is limited and outer suburbs where road traffic is light, but unbetween the trams should be whizzing along its own seperate track like trains do.

For that reason I'm not sure extensions to the Northern General, Broomhill, Crookes or Ecclesall Road are a good idea.

The tram train concept opens up lots of opportunities, for example using the main line railway out to Millhouses then switching to street tramway up to Totley or utlising freight lines such as to Catcliffe or Stocksbridge.

The other big opportunity is the Sheffield City Region developments - at the moment SYPTE can only bid for funding and deliver projects within South Yorkshire, which creates something of a glass wall at the boundary with Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, in the future SYPTE will have the devolved power to look at the bigger local picture with travel between Sheffield and Worksop/Dronfield/Chesterfield becoming part of the remit which opens up the potential of tram extensions such as Halfway to Eckington, Renishaw and Killamarsh or Herdings Park to Dronfield.

I've never understood why they stopped the line at Herdings. Surely it would be much more useful for it to go up to Meadowhead or even a terminus with a park and ride there so that people from Chesterfield could take advantage of it. The city centre is dying on its feet and I object to the high price of parking so avoid going unless I have to. The council should think about this as they revamp the Moor.

I've never understood why they stopped the line at Herdings. Surely it would be much more useful for it to go up to Meadowhead or even a terminus with a park and ride there so that people from Chesterfield could take advantage of it. The city centre is dying on its feet and I object to the high price of parking so avoid going unless I have to. The council should think about this as they revamp the Moor.

I believe that the original plan was a park and ride on the old aerodrome site but the locals objected.

I'd like a spur from University along Glossop Road and along Endcliffe Vale Road to Ranmoor (opposite Florentine pub).

Also, I'd love to see the tram run up Fargate and down The Moor, past the (demolished) Manpower Services carbuncle at Moorfoot and up Ecclesall Road to Hunters Bar.

It'll never happen; only progressive councils would do this which rules out the amateurs at SCC.

Any ideas on where the hundreds of millions would come from to do this?

It should go up Brook Hill on to Weston Bank then loop round at Broomhill down Glossop road then it would serve all the hospitals in that area of the city. I know they would never do it but it makes sense

I think this was being proposed, probably 20 years ago, when I used to live in Broomhill.

In general, if extra routes or extensions were added, would the "core" section of track around high street be able to cope with the extra traffic, or would that need widening to give extra tracks?

it's only one weeks' worth of EU membership fees. We can easily afford it.

That's a joke right? Like the joke £350million/week we were going to be able to spend on hospitals.

---------- Post added 21-09-2016 at 09:37 ----------

Any ideas on where the hundreds of millions would come from to do this?

Same place that the £50 billion will come from for HS2, central government infrastructure spending.

---------- Post added 21-09-2016 at 09:38 ----------

When you say the price of parking is high, where are you making a comparison with? A city of a similar size like Leeds or Manchester? Or a small town?

---------- Post added 21-09-2016 at 09:41 ----------

What is your home postcode?

Which area do you live in?

Errr, my postcode just told you that.