Little white maggots in my neighbours black bin.

My neighbours black council refuse bin is covered inside with little white maggots. Hes tried spraying them with disinfectant and fly spray but they always come back. Is it the hot weather and has anyone else had them ? If so how did you get rid of them ?

Edited by pattricia

Yes, the hot weather is a factor. Flies have laid their eggs in the bin or in something that subsequently went into the bin. I find Jeyes Fluid works well in firstly cleaning the bin and then preventing further infestations. There are some small businesses that go round after bin emptying day and power wash your bins for you, so that also can help. Or you can do it yourself with a pressure washer and plenty of Jeyes Fluid :)

Disclaimer: I don't work for Jeyes ;)

My neighbours black council refuse bin is covered inside with little white maggots. Hes tried spraying them with disinfectant and fly spray but they always come back. Is it the hot weather and has anyone else had them ? If so how did you get rid of them ?

Despite what others say on here, they're little binmen foetusii Pat. They have a two week gesticulation in the black incubation capsule-pods before sprouting arms and legs and becoming full blown refuse operatives. Don't Jeyes 'em … they'll come back and haunt you! :gag:

Yes, the hot weather is a factor. Flies have laid their eggs in the bin or in something that subsequently went into the bin. I find Jeyes Fluid works well in firstly cleaning the bin and then preventing further infestations. There are some small businesses that go round after bin emptying day and power wash your bins for you, so that also can help. Or you can do it yourself with a pressure washer and plenty of Jeyes Fluid :)

Disclaimer: I don't work for Jeyes ;)

I'm afraid hes tried Jeyes fluid but with no success. I think he will be relieved that it is caused by the hot weather and may disappear when the cooler days come. I think a power washer may help. Thank you for your reply Simon. I will pass your reply on to him.

We had them a month ago, I opened back door and they were climbing up the door and window.

It had been raining so don't know if that had anything to do with it but I had to hose the back of the house at 2 in the morning!

Yes we get them we use plenty of bleach... Never had this trouble when collection was once a week and now there are talk's to make it monthly. if there do it won't be only maggots to worry about, but you'll have rats who comes up with these silly ideas ?????????

Another idea here with bleach. Will tell my neighbour to try this.