Little white maggots in my neighbours black bin.

He should bag up his rubbish before throwing it in the wheelie bin.

If you bother to read post 10 you will see he does that already. Even plastic bags wont stop fly's getting to the food, I stood and watched one eat it's way through tinfoil, if they can do that, a plastic bag is going to be no problem to them.

If you bother to read post 10 you will see he does that already. Even plastic bags wont stop fly's getting to the food, I stood and watched one eat it's way through tinfoil, if they can do that, a plastic bag is going to be no problem to them.

Plastic bags DO stop flies unless there are some super strong flies up your way. :roll:

I was just going to suggest he wraps his food up - it's disgusting throwing food in a bin like that:gag:

Totally agree. All our rubbish goes in bags, and we still wash it round with bleach and water every few weeks to keep it clean, one of the neighbours bins stinks to high heaven even when it's out on the road after emptying.

As for the people who come round with the pressure washers, I've seen one emptying the bin in the gutter leaving all the rubbish left from the bottom of the bin after emptying.

I happened to me last week. I went outside to lock garage when, under the outside light, I saw a wriggling mass of maggots across the driveway. Yes, I'd forgotten to wrap the chicken carcass in my hurry to hide it from the dog. It was evident that all these things were intent on migrating from their birthplace so I hosed down the driveway (11.30pm) then wheeled the bin up near the top of the drive, propped open the lid slightly, then retired to bed. Next morning, hardly one to be seen.

I just give my bin a good blast of Raid (S.C. Johnson … a family firm since 1886).

So efficacious, it even kills the rubbish.

Hello your eminence - remember me?

---------- Post added 20-09-2016 at 18:50 ----------

He's cracked it !!! With instant ant killer !!! He had some in his garden shed and sprinkled it thickly inside the bin. Not a sign of a maggot since ! Or is it too early for success yet ? :hihi:

Frayed so Pat. It's ever since the silly top hats changed to fortnightly collections. I use spray bleach and fly spray but you have to be careful and stand well back when you spray this even outside

Hello your eminence - remember me?

---------- Post added 20-09-2016 at 18:50 ----------

Frayed so Pat. It's ever since the silly top hats changed to fortnightly collections. I use spray bleach and fly spray but you have to be careful and stand well back when you spray this even outside

My neighbour tried both spray bleach and fly spray but without success. The ant killer has kept them at bay for a full day and evening. The testing time will come in the morning to see if they have reappeared !! You are right about fortnightly collections, combined with the hot weather.Its a recipe for disaster !:huh:

My neighbour tried both spray bleach and fly spray but without success. The ant killer has kept them at bay for a full day and evening. The testing time will come in the morning to see if they have reappeared !! You are right about fortnightly collections, combined with the hot weather.Its a recipe for disaster !:huh:

I have just had them through the warm weather. There is not a lot you can do except wash the bin out each time it is emptied with Jeyes fluid.

I have just had them through the warm weather. There is not a lot you can do except wash the bin out each time it is emptied with Jeyes fluid.

He has used Jeyes fluid every day but without any success. He has also washed the bin out every time it's been emptied but it's hard for him as he lives alone and is 84. I really hope his rapid ant killer works but we shall know by tomorrow. !:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

---------- Post added 21-09-2016 at 09:29 ----------

Maggots in the bin. Known in the trade as 'disco rice.'

So when you say " known in the trade " do you mean by the refuse collectors ?