"Church of Incubus" Poké Stop

adamf

There's a building next to Waitrose that looks like a former church and (according to Google Maps) now contains the Israac Somali Community & Cultural Association and the Wing Chun Kung Fu Academy.

Any idea why Pokemon Go calls it "Church of Incubus"?

(Oops, it's a Pokémon Gym, not a Poké Stop.)

---------- Post added 20-09-2016 at 11:10 ----------

No idea

But interesting name!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus

:shocked:

Yeah, googling it turned up all sorts of weird stuff. Narrowing the search down to '"Church of Incubus" Sheffield' gets 1 hit, and it's a reddit page about Pokémon Go mapping.

Wasn't Pokemon Go built on an old mapping app where people entered locations themselves?

So some locations can be odd as the actual entry relys on what the person put in at the time.

I think there's a few round Kelham Island that are buildings which have since been demolished.

Wasn't Pokemon Go built on an old mapping app where people entered locations themselves?

So some locations can be odd as the actual entry relys on what the person put in at the time.

I think there's a few round Kelham Island that are buildings which have since been demolished.

It's based on the map from Ingress, an earlier game made by the same company.

Some of the names look like users' descriptions of sites ("Creepy Baby Mural" & "Hot Coffee Mural", for example), but buildings all seem to have their real names (even sites like "Woodseats Library") except for that one.

---------- Post added 20-09-2016 at 11:38 ----------

Some of the names look like users' descriptions of sites ("Creepy Baby Mural" & "Hot Coffee Mural", for example), ....

"Dat Ass Mural"

https://gamerant.com/strange-pokemon-go-pokestops/2/

Some of the names look like users' descriptions of sites ("Creepy Baby Mural" & "Hot Coffee Mural", for example), but buildings all seem to have their real names (even sites like "Woodseats Library") except for that one.

"Seductive silhouettes" for La Chambre :)

There's a building next to Waitrose that looks like a former church and (according to Google Maps) now contains the Israac Somali Community & Cultural Association and the Wing Chun Kung Fu Academy.

Any idea why Pokemon Go calls it "Church of Incubus"?

That would be me.

Pokéstops come from another game by Niantic Labs called Ingress. Points of interest in the game are called Portals, and with the exception of an initial seeding by Niantic (from geotagged photos such as Panoramio) and some sponsored locations, all Portals were submitted by ingress players. Some of them (around a third I'd say) were imported as pokéstops and maybe one in ten became a gym.

The rivalry between the two factions in ingress is far greater than in Pokémon. People got quite worked up over portal submissions, and I wound up my fair share of opponents (I was one of the first players, starting in November 2012). There came a string of complaints by the other team about portals I submitted, and in retaliation some of the cheekier players on my team submitted a bunch of portals with my name on (my name in both games is incubus).

So there you go. I've been immortalised, in the virtual world at least.

If you are interested in playing ingress (there's more to it than Pokémon but it's a very different game) just drop me a PM.

Cheers!

Gricey / incubus

Edited by Gricey
Typo

That would be me.

Pokéstops come from another game by Niantic Labs called Ingress. Points of interest in the game are called Portals, and with the exception of an initial seeding by Niantic (from geotagged photos such as Panoramio) and some sponsored locations, all Portals were submitted by ingress players. Some of them (around a third I'd say) were imported as pokéstops and maybe one in ten became a gym.

The rivalry between the two factions in ingress is far greater than in Pokémon. People got quite worked up over portal submissions, and I wound up my fair share of opponents (I was one of the first players, starting in November 2012). There came a string of complaints by the other team about portals I submitted, and in retaliation some of the cheekier players on my team submitted a bunch of portals with my name on (my name in both games is incubus).

So there you go. I've been immortalised, in the virtual world at least.

If you are interested in playing ingress (there's more to it than Pokémon but it's a very different game) just drop me a PM.

Cheers!

Gricey / incubus

That's hilarious, thanks. Given that background, I guess it should be surprising that most stops & gyms have "sensible" names!