Charles Peace- Sheffield born murderer

Timbuck

About 20 years ago many members of my family undertook a family tree. I may have to go find it because I remember their being a massive argument when one person suggested our family was related to "Charlie Peace" - I had no idea why until reading this thread!!

It would be interesting if you could find details of your family tree.

My grandmother's second husband was named Peace and came from the Sheffield area, he would have been born around the late 1800's.

For some reason, certain family members do not seem too happy when I ask them about this relative.

The DYSONS house is still there on ECCLESALL ROAD but it is now a Estate Agents the house is the second one of the two that make up the shop. The alleyway where Peace shot Mr Dyson is still there too at the side of the BANNER CROSS pub.

There seems to be some confusion as to which alleyway was the one where the murder was committed. Some say the alleyway beside the Banner Cross Pub whilst others say the alleyway next to Best Kebab.

Does anyone have the definitive answer?

• 2 weeks later...
Congratulations Playman! Excellent. Just a thought - rumour had it that he once lived on Psalter Lane. Isn't that part of Banner Cross, if I remember correctly? We used to live on Banner Cross Road early 30's

As someone commented earlier, the Psalter lane /Banner Cross link was to do with Peace's lover, and the location where he murdered her husband and the policeman who tried to apprehend him...

• 10 months later...

Hi, my name Michael Byrne, from Smethwick in the West Midlands. I am interested in Charlie Peace as my mother maiden name is Peace and there are a lot of Peace's in the West Midlands are, particularly Smethwick, Bearwood, and other West Midlands regions. Does anyone know of a connection to Charlie Peace and he West Midlands. probably a long shot. Thanks. Any e-mails to Engbyrne@hotmail.com. Thanks a lot.

Charlie Peace- Also known as rubber face (not sure why- will try and find out.) Was a window cleaner and burgler. He had a unique ladder for his trade- it folded down to a smaller size. It was in my great aunts cellar for years. It was a big thing when we used to go to her house to go and see it:D.

She 'lent' it to the police museum as an exhibit. Unfortunately it was never returned- I don't know how she got it in the first place however.

To my knowledge it is still there.

Incidentally, there used to be a story in Buster comic in the late sixties about a 'lovable Victorian rogue' called, you guessed it, Charlie Peace.

They must have carried on into the early 70s as I remember that comic strip well.

Didn't they turn him into a cockney though? I've also seen it claimed online that he began his criminal career in Manchester.

On the 1841 census Charles Peace is living on Bridge Street, he's aged 9 and living with his parents John aged 55, Jane aged 40, May aged 15, Daniel aged 12. It looks as though the census says his father John was a "beer retailer".

On the 1851 census he's living in Hull as a "Visitor" with widow Jane Peace aged 53 (presumably his mother who, incidentally was born in Hull). Charles' occupation is given as "Steel Roller".

Duffems

Archived