Charles Peace- Sheffield born murderer

Timbuck

I was told that he evaded the police may times by the use of disguise and the fact that he was double jointed.

He could change his appearance radically by disjointing his jaw or his arms giving him a totally different appearance.

I believe there are a set of pictures in existance which show his different facial looks.

Maybe someone can confirm this?

Pop T

"The Stirrings in Sheffield on a Saturday Night" brings back great memories for me. It was the last play (in fact the only play) I saw at the Playhouse, and it was the first play I saw at The Crucible.

My favourite bit was when the drunk guy was wandering around Hereford St ( in his stupor it became Elephant street) talking to himself. It was a lovely view of Sheffield's history, even if the rose tinted specs were extra rosy.

I often scan the final to see if any AmDram productions of it are taking place, but don't recall seeing any for years.

Are there any more Plays about Sheffield?

• 9 months later...

I have started my family history. My great grandfather P.C. Walter Golding helped arrest Charles Peace in Blackheath in 1878.

I did a search for Charlie Peace which your site was one of the results. The site mentioned the Banner Cross Pub which had articles and old newspaper cuttings about Charlie Peace.

Is this pub and newspaper still there, anyother information would be brill.

Best wishes, and all the best in the Fa cup

eric

he lived at a house on Ecclesall Rd just down from the pub - was having an affiar with a married woman who lived nearby and in a tussle with her husband he killed him. Then fled the city and was later caught and hanged. The pub and house are still there as is the alleyway near the pub where he killed the man.

ericgolding

For some time there was a wanted poster for Charles Peace for sale upstairs in the antique emporium on Broadfield Road.

I thought it maybe of interest for you to take a look if it is still there.

Happy Hunting

Guest Cutglass

if you take a look at the Sheffield Star shop or even Gt / WHS Smith newsagents for that matter you'll find plenty of books about the Sheffield of bygone days, my gram used to have loads which i used to borrow and there's one in particular about all the gangster elements of sheffield which meant that it rivalled Chicago statistically wise re: law and order, different gangs and plenty about Charlie Peace, but it did include lots of info about the police officers involved.

Archived