Charles Peace- Sheffield born murderer

Timbuck

Although research has shown that we wasn't related to Charlie, it must have been terrible to have the name of 'Peace' around that time. My Mom was called Edith Elsie Peace, there was also Rose, Lily, Arther, William, Annie and Caroline. I think there was some that died young as well. When my Mom needed her birth certificate when she retired at 65 (1972)we saw that she and her two witnesses (Rose & Arther) all signed their names as 'Pearce'. My Mom said they were so ashamed of the name. I've still got the certificate.

Good look with your search.

:) :) :)

mrsnoo:-

Also if I remember rightly from the book I read about him , he had darkened his compexion with some kind of concoction and whilst he was on Remand it began to wear off and that too aroused the suspicions of the warders.

In general , he was gifted at disguising himself----and at playing the violin !----Quite a character , to say the least.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
I have started my family history. My great grandfather P.C. Walter Golding helped arrest Charles Peace in Blackheath in 1878.

I did a search for Charlie Peace which your site was one of the results. The site mentioned the Banner Cross Pub which had articles and old newspaper cuttings about Charlie Peace.

Is this pub and newspaper still there, anyother information would be brill.

Best wishes, and all the best in the Fa cup

eric

The DYSONS house is still there on ECCLESALL ROAD but it is now a Estate Agents the house is the second one of the two that make up the shop. The alleyway where Peace shot Mr Dyson is still there too at the side of the BANNER CROSS pub.

• 1 month later...
I also thought that Charlie Peace lived — certainlly in his burglary years — in a cottage at the junction of Ecclesall Road with Psalter Lane. The house was actually on Psalter Lane.

Hi Peter you are correct re; his address in psalter lane. ARTHUR

• 1 month later...

Re: Charles Peace. He was hanged at Armley Prison 25/02/1879. I have a copy of his death certificate. It gives as cause of death: 'Hanging by virtue of a sentence of law'. There was also an old B/W film about him made decades ago.

Archived