Charles Peace- Sheffield born murderer

Timbuck

Sorry to be a bit of a wet blanket [ and apologies if I'm wrong ] , but I'm sure Charlie Peace never lived at Banner Cross . The Dysons had moved away from Darnall , as Peace was becoming a nuisance ------virtually stalking Mrs. Dyson .

Peace travelled to Banner Cross on the night of the murder and later fled across the fields that are now Greystones .The inquest was held at the Stag , at the other end of Psalter Lane . Mrs. Dyson went to live in America and after various other adventures all round the country , Peace was caught at Blackheath in London [ doing a burglary ] and the rest followed .

You are right Fareast, Peace never lived at Banner Cross. In addition the alley way above the pub is not where the shooting took place. The site of the shooting was on the lower side of the houses, a narrow entry which is now gone.

Siren

I have started my family history. My great grandfather P.C. Walter Golding helped arrest Charles Peace in Blackheath in 1878.

I did a search for Charlie Peace which your site was one of the results. The site mentioned the Banner Cross Pub which had articles and old newspaper cuttings about Charlie Peace.

Is this pub and newspaper still there, anyother information would be brill.

Best wishes, and all the best in the Fa cup

eric

The Sheffield Playhouse did a play about Charlie Peace, I cant remember the title for definite, but it might have been the one they did called 'Stirrings In Sheffield on Saturday Night', or it might have been another one entirely and that might have just been about the Sheffield Grinders uprising. I'm sure somebody on here will know.

This is a little late in the day,but i have only joined the site today.Charlie peace lodged with the dysons on brittania rd, darnall.

The row of houses were there in the 70's but were demolished and the darnall library now stands on the site.

As a child we were warned to behave or charlie peaces ghost would get us.

I remember a lot of tales about charlie,I am not sure how historically true they are but darnall was a very close knit community but they make interesting tales in the telling.

best wishessisterloui

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi sisterloui

you are wrong i am sorry to say, but charlie lived opposite the library on the site where morrisons once was. i think it was 41 brittania road but lost that bit of info; [of the number.], and charlie did not live with the dysons as the dysons lived in a house just above charlie.and as for the houses there was nothing, it was a few years later when morrisons was built. to the best of my knowledge the houses were there in the 60's but gone in the early 70's as there was an entery which used to go thro to catley road.

• 2 months later...

I'd love to know anything about this nasty Sheffield legend who was apparently a multiple murderer, burglar and bigamist active in the mid 1800s. I know a couple of TV programmes were made about him but I can't find much information about him at all. There's a small book about him in the Central Library but it's tiny and it's cobbled together by a journalist in 1880 so I'm surprised I can't find anything more up to date. I know the following from the old book: He was hung in the late 1870s after a crime spree that lasted over 20 years and stretched from Sheffield to Hull, Kensington and possibly Manchester. I know he lived in Attercliffe and he murdered a man near the junction of Psalter Lane and Ecclesall Road. I know he worked at a watchmakers on West Street and used to burgle round there.

Anyone have any family legends or other info about him?

He's got the first exhibit in the Scotland Yard Black Museum so I'm sure there's a book about him waiting to be written should anyone fancy the task.

There's a chapter on him and his history in the 'Tales from the Black Museum' book, which may be available from some libraries.

I can't quote from it (I've slept since I read it you know) and unfortunately the copy that I read is now no longer in my possession, but it's a start.

He wasn't a very nice man, you know ;)

Archived