Charles Peace- Sheffield born murderer

Timbuck

Hi, the 1949 film is probably public domain in America, but we unfortunately have more complicated, and less specific, copyright laws than theirs. The last time I saw it was from an old 16mm print I had. It's possible one of the many individuals selling PD videos on the net may have it. I vaguely remember that the actor playing him did resemble Peace.:hihi:

Hi, the 1949 film is probably public domain in America, but we unfortunately have more complicated, and less specific, copyright laws than theirs. The last time I saw it was from an old 16mm print I had. It's possible one of the many individuals selling PD videos on the net may have it. I vaguely remember that the actor playing him did resemble Peace.:hihi:

ugly then? :P

• 2 months later...

Hi there everyone. I just joined this forum, and I want any info on Charles Peace I can get. I am directly related to him. My grandmother was raised by one of his siblings. Her own mother was a Peace, and when she died my grandmother was sent to live with her aunt and uncle of the Peace family. Back then a single father was at a loss to raise a child alone. He is most assuredly an interesting character. He is still featured in one of the tussauds wax museums somewhere in the north country, although I am unsure where. I have been trying to get a picture or something of his gravesite. I am so intent on learning what I can, that I am leaving Canada tomorrow to go to England and will be visiting Leeds to see if I can find it. In the meanwhile, if you come across any other tidbit of info, no matter how small you think it is, I would love to hear of it. Just keep in mind this is a Canadian who is making her first ever trip to the beautiful UK. If a place is a town please say so, or if a suburb of a town, etc. I am really looking forward to this trip of discovery. Also a chance to see a place I am sure is very different from my native Canada. Hope to hear back from anyone who can add to the story.

Hi there everyone. I just joined this forum, and I want any info on Charles Peace I can get. I am directly related to him. My grandmother was raised by one of his siblings. Her own mother was a Peace, and when she died my grandmother was sent to live with her aunt and uncle of the Peace family. Back then a single father was at a loss to raise a child alone. He is most assuredly an interesting character. He is still featured in one of the tussauds wax museums somewhere in the north country, although I am unsure where. I have been trying to get a picture or something of his gravesite. I am so intent on learning what I can, that I am leaving Canada tomorrow to go to England and will be visiting Leeds to see if I can find it. In the meanwhile, if you come across any other tidbit of info, no matter how small you think it is, I would love to hear of it. Just keep in mind this is a Canadian who is making her first ever trip to the beautiful UK. If a place is a town please say so, or if a suburb of a town, etc. I am really looking forward to this trip of discovery. Also a chance to see a place I am sure is very different from my native Canada. Hope to hear back from anyone who can add to the story.

Hi

Unfortunately there is no grave site for Charles Peace, after execution persons convicted of murder were buried within the prison grounds. His body was recently moved due to alterations to the prison and its current whereabouts is not known. The prison is Armley jail in Leeds and is still used but you wont be allowed in.

The house where Mr Dyson was murdered still exists in Sheffield and that can be visited, the public house where the inquest into his death was held also still exists, there is rumour that Peace would meet Mrs Dyson in this pub.Are you staying in Sheffield when you get here. There is a museum in old Sheffield police HQ with articles on display once owned by Peace including his famous ladder, that can be visited on Sundays.

Hope this helps

you wont find his grave in leeds because he was buried in a unmarked grave within the walls of HMP LEEDS the plot where he is buried is about 20 yards by 20 yards at the rear of the hospital wing approx 50 prisoners are buried in the same place

This is a great deal of help. Although it is quite disappointing that there is no grave. Even murderers have family. Not that we sympathize with him, just curiosity of the family history. I am still looking forward to my visit to England. I will be staying in London and in Leeds. Never been over there before so I do not know how far apart places are, but if I can get to them I definitely will. Thank you for all your help.

Archived