Amber Rudd - no surprise.

Well no actually, nothing removes or limits our rights to ask questions. Like I said.

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 06:03 ----------

Great diversion on to plumbers and roofers taking cash but this thread is about a government minister using tax havens.

One is highly illegal and called tax evasion.

The other is perfectly legal and might be called avoidance at the worst.

You are of course bothered about the legal one?

Businesses are checked on a random basis or investigations are carried out based on tip-offs and other intelligence based enquiries. The VAT man can quite easily discover fraud and subsequently decide to investigate customers as well.

If you have evaded VAT try explaining to the VAT man why you had work done but can't provide the invoice.

:)

The VAT man doesn't investigate customers. He is legally allowed to turn up at your business and you have to be able to produce the last 3 years of VAT records. If you can't, you are in trouble.

However, the majority of self employed tradesman won't be VAT registered as the turnover threshold is £83,000 for VAT registration which the majority will claim they don't turnover. So even if you get an invoice, it probably won't show VAT as they wont be VAT registered.

So all this you may get investiged for paying cash is rubbish as you are perfectly legally entitled to do so. How anyone shows that cash whether VAT registered or not is there legal responsibity, not the customers.

You can guarantee any cash rich business only declares a % to the taxman whether it be self employed, a hot dog stand or a bouncy castle etc etc. So I wouldn't take too much of a moral higround as I sure you will have bought something in cash which won't have been declared to the taxman. The taxman will know this happens day in and day out but they only have finite resources.

Well no actually, nothing removes or limits our rights to ask questions. Like I said.

Great diversion on to plumbers and roofers taking cash but this thread is about a government minister using tax havens.

Actually it got diverted because people who try to encourage others to pay tax then try themselves to not pay tax - (allegedly) were accused of being hypocrites.

Hence the diversion to the millions of self employed who are doing just that.

The VAT man doesn't investigate customers. He is legally allowed to turn up at your business and you have to be able to produce the last 3 years of VAT records. If you can't, you are in trouble.

However, the majority of self employed tradesman won't be VAT registered as the turnover threshold is £83,000 for VAT registration which the majority will claim they don't turnover. So even if you get an invoice, it probably won't show VAT as they wont be VAT registered.

So all this you may get investiged for paying cash is rubbish as you are perfectly legally entitled to do so. How anyone shows that cash whether VAT registered or not is there legal responsibity, not the customers.

You can guarantee any cash rich business only declares a % to the taxman whether it be self employed, a hot dog stand or a bouncy castle etc etc. So I wouldn't take too much of a moral higround as I sure you will have bought something in cash which won't have been declared to the taxman. The taxman will know this happens day in and day out but they only have finite resources.

I should have said business customers. That's what I meant. Customers that run a business such as Penny and the work is done for that business.

I only pay the window cleaner cash. He doesn't have a card reader. But as you point out he is unlikely to be VAT registered nor do I assume he takes cash for the purposes of avoiding VAT but for simplicity.

I quite like the moral high ground so I will stay here, thanks.

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 11:12 ----------

Great diversion? I'm pointing out hypocrisy.

And I was by highlighting the practices of the Mail: a paper which demands Rudd tell them all her tax affairs but whose owners are tax avoiders themselves. More hypocrisy.

Edited by Santo

One is highly illegal and called tax evasion.

The other is perfectly legal and might be called avoidance at the worst.

You are of course bothered about the legal one?

This is getting boring, and you are utterly one-dimensional in your approach.

I'm not particularly bothered about anything in particular, apart from the right to ask questions.

This is getting boring, and you are utterly one-dimensional in your approach.

I'm not particularly bothered about anything in particular, apart from the right to ask questions.

Which you've asked. So if you aren't bothered why are you having a go at other people?

Great diversion? I'm pointing out hypocrisy.

And I was by highlighting the practices of the Mail: a paper which demands Rudd tell them all her tax affairs but whose owners are tax avoiders themselves. More hypocrisy.

Stop being ridiculous. The plumbers and roofers and the people that pay them aren't senior members of government, aren't part of the cabinet, aren't responsible for forming policy and driving it through parliament. They don't go on Newsnight and Radio 4 etc... or give interviews to the press to explain and defend their policy of being paid cash in hand or having a preference for it.

Nothing, and I repeat nothing, removes or limits our rights to ask questions of the people who govern us and to question their integrity. Even if I paid my gas engineer in cash once that doesn't make me a hypocrite and does not disqualify me from asking questions. Even if I (heaven forbid) once opened an ISA that doesn't disqualify me from asking questions either ;)

Stop being ridiculous. The plumbers and roofers and the people that pay them aren't senior members of government, aren't part of the cabinet, aren't responsible for forming policy and driving it through parliament.

I don't believe Amber Rudd was a member of the cabinet or was responsible for forming or driving through policy 16 years ago either?

Stop being ridiculous. The plumbers and roofers and the people that pay them aren't senior members of government, aren't part of the cabinet, aren't responsible for forming policy and driving it through parliament. They don't go on Newsnight and Radio 4 etc... or give interviews to the press to explain and defend their policy of being paid cash in hand or having a preference for it.

Nothing, and I repeat nothing, removes or limits our rights to ask questions of the people who govern us and to question their integrity. Even if I paid my gas engineer in cash once that doesn't make me a hypocrite and does not disqualify me from asking questions. Even if I (heaven forbid) once opened an ISA that doesn't disqualify me from asking questions either ;)

Instead of telling me to stop being ridiculous why don't you get off your pompous high-horse? Where have I said you can't ask questions?

If it bothers you that much and you think her info is for public consumption do a FOI request for it and if you find something suspicious report her to HRMC and the Conservative Party instead of being tediously vociferous on here!

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 12:33 ----------

I don't believe Amber Rudd was a member of the cabinet or was responsible for forming or driving through policy 16 years ago either?

Nope, she wasn't.

Doesn't matter. It's part of her past and can be used to judge her integrity.

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 12:47 ----------

Instead of telling me to stop being ridiculous why don't you get off your pompous high-horse? Where have I said you can't ask questions?

If it bothers you that much and you think her info is for public consumption do a FOI request for it and if you find something suspicious report her to HRMC and the Conservative Party instead of being tediously vociferous on here!

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 12:33 ----------

Nope, she wasn't.

Here we go. Every stock argument being shot down is followed by the personal attack. Good work.

I'm glad you think it's OK for us to ask questions. So if it is OK why don't you just jog on and stop trying to prevent me and others doing it.