Does anyone recall the Granville Inn ?

crookedspire

Isn't Brampton an area of Chesterfield, perhaps a clue there Mr.C. ?

Yes Brampton is part of Chesterfield.

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 08:37 ----------

Me too - it's a Chesterfield brewery. I assume the present-day brewery is the same firm - the 1912 Chesterfield directory shows it on Chatsworth Road like the modern Brampton Brewery.

Not quite, the original Brampton Brewery was on Chatsworth Road at the top end The brewery was noted for it's milds and pales ales the brewery was one of three in Chesterfield the others been Chesterfield Brewery, Scarsdale and Brampton. Brampton Brewery was sold to Warwick Brewery in 1955 who closed the Brampton site much too the horror of local drinkers who hated Warwick ales in fact one landlord refused to have it in his pub.

The original Brampton brewery buildings were cleared away in the early 1980s for a DIY store fast forward to the early 2000s a group of local lads decided that they fancied the idea of been master brewer's and one thought why not bring back Brampton ales back . The new brewery is now housed in the old tram sheds further up Chatsworth Road it has a shop and you can tour the brewery on its open days. They have produced a nice mild and a selection of pale ales and bitters which are better than the mass produced crap .

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 08:42 ----------

Me too - it's a Chesterfield brewery. I assume the present-day brewery is the same firm - the 1912 Chesterfield directory shows it on Chatsworth Road like the modern Brampton Brewery.[/QUO

Yes Mr H. and their headline is 'Under the dreaming spires' ! 'Spire' Chesterfield yes, Spires (plural) ?? Dreaming Spires ????

I assume there is such a place, but north east Derbyshire is not hitting me just now !

To Mr stpetre,

Yes I do hope their's such a place its been around since the roman times. Out of interest are American bars and dinners closing down like our pubs are, I known the motels have been hit hard due to the economic downturn?

Edited by crookedspire

Yes Brampton is part of Chesterfield.

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 08:37 ----------

Not quite, the original Brampton Brewery was on Chatsworth Road at the top end The brewery was noted for it's milds and pales ales the brewery was one of three in Chesterfield the others been Chesterfield Brewery, Scarsdale and Brampton. Brampton Brewery was sold to Warwick Brewery in 1955 who closed the Brampton site much too the horror of local drinkers who hated Warwick ales in fact one landlord refused to have it in his pub.

The original Brampton brewery buildings were cleared away in the early 1980s for a DIY store fast forward to the early 2000s a group of local lads decided that they fancied the idea of been master brewer's and one thought why not bring back Brampton ales back . The new brewery is now housed in the old tram sheds further up Chatsworth Road it has a shop and you can tour the brewery on its open days. They have produced a nice mild and a selection of pale ales and bitters which are better than the mass produced crap .

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 08:42 ----------

To Mr stpetre,

Yes I do hope their's such a place its been around since the roman times. Out of interest are American bars and dinners closing down like our pubs are, I known the motels have been hit hard due to the economic downturn?

No crookedspire, the bars-at least where I live in southern Brooklyn-have not been affected. That being that they are independently owned and get their 'products' from 'Beer and Alcohol distributors' and do not deal directly with breweries. As there is much competition between the distributors they tend to have competitive prices or the bar owner will take their business elsewhere. One bar I frequent hasn't had a price rise in about 14 years and they go on and on. The ones that do fail (which is rare) are due to bad management not outside interference. 'Diner's' are another story as I have known around five go but not because of any economic downturn. Some 'Diner's' are in prime locations development wise and sold out by the diner owners (for the land they stood on) to real estate developers for dollar figures they could not turn down. In fact one around the corner from me , it took up an entire block ,was sold for about 25 million dollars (not bad if it's a family and not a company that owns the land) so they could build high-rise apartments with an Atlantic Ocean view. By the way, they had trams in Chesterfield ?,

Chesterfield had trams until 1922...
.. of which at least one lives on - at Crich Tramway Village. :) According to Wikipedia Chesterfield trams ran until 23 May 1927, then the trolleybuses operated until 24 March 1938.
... A pub now owned by Brampton brewery on Chatsworth Road is called ' Tramways' not far from the old tram sheds.
Sheffield also had a pub called The Tramway. Somehow I can't imagine a pub called The Trolleybus - but who knows? :)

.. of which at least one lives on - at Crich Tramway Village. :) According to Wikipedia Chesterfield trams ran until 23 May 1927, then the trolleybuses operated until 24 March 1938.Sheffield also had a pub called The Tramway. Somehow I can't imagine a pub called The Trolleybus - but who knows? :)

Tramway on London Road is history got the JCB treatment last year after years of dereliction.

.. of which at least one lives on - at Crich Tramway Village. :) According to Wikipedia Chesterfield trams ran until 23 May 1927, then the trolleybuses operated until 24 March 1938.Sheffield also had a pub called The Tramway. Somehow I can't imagine a pub called The Trolleybus - but who knows? :)

If there ever was going to be a pub called 'Trolleybus' it would surely be in Rotherham as they , in the south Yorkshire area anyway, had them the longest as I don't think Sheffield, Barnsley or Doncaster (could be wrong on that one.) had them. I noticed with interest, that the Chesterfield trams (I could not get the picture of the trolleybus) were red and cream as opposed to the later dark green livery of ,well Chesterfield Corporation buses. I think there was a 'Tramcar' pub on Attercliffe Common.

If there ever was going to be a pub called 'Trolleybus' it would surely be in Rotherham as they , in the south Yorkshire area anyway, had them the longest as I don't think Sheffield, Barnsley or Doncaster (could be wrong on that one.) had them. I noticed with interest, that the Chesterfield trams (I could not get the picture of the trolleybus) were red and cream as opposed to the later dark green livery of ,well Chesterfield Corporation buses. I think there was a 'Tramcar' pub on Attercliffe Common.

I remember trolley buses in Rotherham in the fifties and early sixties as I grew up near Rotherham and used the town for shopping regularly. We used to call them tracklesses lol. I believe Doncaster had them, don't know about Barnsley and never saw one in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 14:30 ----------

Tramway on London Road is history got the JCB treatment last year after years of dereliction.

That was my late mother- in- law's joint local along with The Barrel just up the road. I believe she had her photo took arm in arm with Sean Bean in the Barrel, many years ago, don't know what happened to it though.

Edited by TORONTONY

Yes, I saw the latter part of the demolition work. So sad - it was a decent pub in its day.
... I think there was a 'Tramcar' pub on Attercliffe Common.
Yes, it was actually at the far end of Attercliffe Road on the corner of Clay Street; here's a photo.

I remember trolley buses in Rotherham in the fifties and early sixties as I grew up near Rotherham and used the town for shopping regularly. We used to call them tracklesses lol. I believe Doncaster had them, don't know about Barnsley and never saw one in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 14:30 ----------

That was my late mother- in- law's joint local along with The Barrel just up the road. I believe she had her photo took arm in arm with Sean Bean in the Barrel, many years ago, don't know what happened to it though.

Yes Mr.T. I don't know how far the Rotherham trolleybuses went but recall seeing them as far up as Bawtry Road (is that Herringthorpe ?} Perhaps they went as far as 'Steelo's' at Templeborough but not to Tinsley or further into Sheffield 9- overhead wires etc.