Does anyone recall the Granville Inn ?

crookedspire

• 1 year later...

Does anyone recall the Granville Inn?

There were definitely trolleybuses in Doncaster, I've travelled on 'em. I was in my fifth year at the time, 1959. The livery was maroon with white band. Previously the buses and trolleybuses of Doncaster were red and white, I think. Trolleybuses stopped running in Doncaster during 1963, I was living at Hackenthorpe by then though.

The family zakes lived at RAF Lindholme, Bomber Command Training School in the late 50s. We went shopping on normal double-decked buses. Dad zakes was a sergeant with three stripes. How he got to become a sergeant God only knows lol. We lived at 16 Hampden Crescent, the end house. The house is still theere. It was one of the roads of the married quarters for RAF personnel. The houses now stand directly outside the fencing of Lindholme clink, and are privately owned. The houses can be seen on Zoopla, Rightmove, and other rip-off merchant websites.

There was an attempt to bring back trolleybuses in 1984. Trials were run at Doncaster racecourse, but the idea was knocked on the head in 1986 due to the introduction of deregulation of buses. I recently read this, as I wasn't living in Britain during the 80s.

The plan had been to re-introduce trolleybuses in Doncaster, and in Rotherham (Greater Sheffield lol).

The trolleybus used in the trial-experiment can be seen at the trolleybus museum at Sandtoft (it sounds Danish), in Lincs (Hillsbro territory lol).