The carrier bag tax worked, what next?

I have seen news items about the Liberal Democrats wanting to tax disposable cups, other countries banning/taxing plastic plates and cutlery.

What do you think we should tax/ban?

Trans fats, sugar?; as a dog owner I hate to see glass beer bottles that could get broken and do something an injury.

A 10p tax on non returned glass bottles = more plastic and aluminum.

Takeaway food packaging ought to be taxed and the revenue gained from this used to clear up the McDonalds and KFC litter from our roadsides.

These two companies seem to be the main culprits and the least willing to address the problem. The road sides around Crystal Peaks are a disgrace.

These two companies seem to be the main culprits.

No they are not. Disgusting littering morons are the culprits and they should be the ones fined punished.

The litter not being disposed of properly is nothing to do with the vendors. How else are they supposed to serve their food? The whole point of take away food is just that, people take it away. Off premises.

What said person does with the empty packet is no more the company's responsibility than a brewery company being responsible for someone falling over drunk.

I agree the bag tax worked. It was a sensible idea but let's not get carried away. You cannot and should not start taxing the wider populous just because some morons behaive like animals. If some fatso cannot control their diet why should we ALL be punished with a tax on sugar or fats. If some littering scum won't walk to a bin why should ALL the shops and in turn customers suffer with a tax on their paper bags.

Edited by ECCOnoob

we still ose more carrier bags than france Germany and Holland put together.

Do we? That sounds like a quite unlikely statistic, I'd be interested to know why that was if that is true. Do you have any stats to back that up?

Germany didn't introduce their plastic bag tax until July 1st this year so it's not as if we've been late to the party.

Do we? That sounds like a quite unlikely statistic, I'd be interested to know why that was if that is true. Do you have any stats to back that up?

Germany didn't introduce their plastic bag tax until July 1st this year so it's not as if we've been late to the party.

I take it you do not spend much time in Germany, they have a very different recycling culture to us. Most shoppers have been using their own traditional wicker shopping baskets or reusable cotton shopping bags for years. Bottles both plastic and many glass have a deposit on them and the supermarkets have automatic machines that scan your retuning bottles and sort out your repayments.