The carrier bag tax worked, what next?

The thread title says that the carrier bag tax worked. I think it worked to cut the amount of carrier bags but has it made any difference ?

With us we dump at least the same as before, it's just bin liners instead of carrier bags.

I personally thought that the carrier bag tax, was a red herring. We have lots of other stuff that is harmful to the environment, carrier bags were just a fraction of that harm.

All that floating plastic in the sea, I dont think its mostly carrier bags.

I personally thought that the carrier bag tax, was a red herring. We have lots of other stuff that is harmful to the environment, carrier bags were just a fraction of that harm.

The Government has also recently announced a ban on micro-beads, although it remains to be seen how far that ban will extend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37263087

Takeaway food packaging ought to be taxed and the revenue gained from this used to clear up the McDonalds and KFC litter from our roadsides.

These two companies seem to be the main culprits and the least willing to address the problem. The road sides around Crystal Peaks are a disgrace.

Can't speak for KFC but McDonalds actively do litter sweeps within 1/2 mile to a mile of their branches. They're not obligated to do it.

Can't speak for KFC but McDonalds actively do litter sweeps within 1/2 mile to a mile of their branches. They're not obligated to do it.

I believe that there is something in local council rules that puts a duty on businesses to keep their local area clean and tidy.

---------- Post added 26-09-2016 at 10:57 ----------

Street litter control notices (SLCNs) give councils the power to require businesses to clear litter from around their premises.

These SLCNs were deemed no longer necessary by the Conservatives in 2014, seem like a good idea to me.

I believe that there is something in local council rules that puts a duty on businesses to keep their local area clean and tidy.

---------- Post added 26-09-2016 at 10:57 ----------

These SLCNs were deemed no longer necessary by the Conservatives in 2014, seem like a good idea to me.

SLCN's have been replaced by Community Protection Notices. It is meant to be more streamlined and therefore more effective, although I have no idea if this is true or not.

http://asbhelp.co.uk/community-protection-notices/

Perhaps, the tax should only apply to supermarkets who used to give the bags away like confetti.