Experience of claiming for Personal Independence Payment

crookedspire

How did you find the form easy or hard to fill in?

What sort of questions were ask at the face to face assessment did you have to travel to the next town for it ?

Mobility questions what to expect?

Care questions what to expect?

Do you think DLA should have been retained or replaced by PIP?

Thank You.:)

In answer to your questions

I got a social worker to fill the forms in for my Step daughter

The nurse who did my S/D assesment took one look at her and said "why have they made you come here" the assesment took place in Barnsley

Mobility, how far can you walk:rant: My S/D doesn't go anywhere without aid as she is vunlerable. even though she can walk

Care. It helped that my S/D has a hospital passport that tells medical staff what she can and can't do. I got this through Ryegate hospital. I know that's no use to you but there may be other ways you can get one

I've just supported someone through the whole application process.

How did you find the form easy or hard to fill in?

Reasonably easy. You can get a list of points awarded and how many points for each catagory, which helps to let you know if you're in the middle of a catagory or right at the edge and need to be really careful about getting everything exactly right. The bad bit was there's no guidence about illnesses which vary over time, which many do. In the end since there's space for notes we settled on stating a rough percentage of days for which a particular task would be possible.

What sort of questions were ask at the face to face assessment did you have to travel to the next town for it ?

We're in Sheffield, the assesment was in Sheffield.

Mobility questions what to expect?

Care questions what to expect?

It's pretty much going through the form really, but you're giving open ended questions instead of multiple choice. "How far can you walk in one go before you have to sit down and rest?" and "How do you manage washing yourself?" rather than multiple choice. You/they give a long answer and the person fills out the form.

We were lucky and got a really sympathetic person who didn't administer the physical portion of the test as she could see that even half an hour of sitting talking was exhausting, told us she was recommending the support group, even told us we could appeal if needs be but we hadn't heard it from her.

Do you think DLA should have been retained or replaced by PIP?

I don't know, but I know the process of applying is terrifying. This person could never cope with the hoops you have to jump through for unemployment benefits so she'd have ended up repeatedly sanctioned with no income and no back-up plan. Good news though, the decision came through today - she's in the support group! If you can call it good news when she's sick enough to need that.

I've just supported someone through the whole application process.

Reasonably easy. You can get a list of points awarded and how many points for each catagory, which helps to let you know if you're in the middle of a catagory or right at the edge and need to be really careful about getting everything exactly right. The bad bit was there's no guidence about illnesses which vary over time, which many do. In the end since there's space for notes we settled on stating a rough percentage of days for which a particular task would be possible.

We're in Sheffield, the assesment was in Sheffield.

It's pretty much going through the form really, but you're giving open ended questions instead of multiple choice. "How far can you walk in one go before you have to sit down and rest?" and "How do you manage washing yourself?" rather than multiple choice. You/they give a long answer and the person fills out the form.

We were lucky and got a really sympathetic person who didn't administer the physical portion of the test as she could see that even half an hour of sitting talking was exhausting, told us she was recommending the support group, even told us we could appeal if needs be but we hadn't heard it from her.

I don't know, but I know the process of applying is terrifying. This person could never cope with the hoops you have to jump through for unemployment benefits so she'd have ended up repeatedly sanctioned with no income and no back-up plan. Good news though, the decision came through today - she's in the support group! If you can call it good news when she's sick enough to need that.

I'm pleased it went well I'm going on the point you said ' Support Group ' this must be Employment and Support Allowance as PIP has Enhanced rate and Standard rate.

---------- Post added 29-09-2016 at 15:57 ----------

In answer to your questions

I got a social worker to fill the forms in for my Step daughter

The nurse who did my S/D assesment took one look at her and said "why have they made you come here" the assesment took place in Barnsley

Mobility, how far can you walk:rant: My S/D doesn't go anywhere without aid as she is vunlerable. even though she can walk

Care. It helped that my S/D has a hospital passport that tells medical staff what she can and can't do. I got this through Ryegate hospital. I know that's no use to you but there may be other ways you can get one

My issues are mobility but since the DLA was first done things have changed as I now get depression and anxiety which I have tablets for and been to a hospital that's deals with depression and mental well bean . Also over the years my care needs have grown plus need more help.

I'm pleased it went well I'm going on the point you said ' Support Group ' this must be Employment and Support Allowance as PIP has Enhanced rate and Standard rate.

*bleeping* *bleep* it, you're right. I was so sure it was PIP, but it was ESA so we're going to have to go through it allll again. Joy.

I don't usually have anything to do with her paperwork, in my defence for getting it wrong. I only helped with the form as she was panicking about what to write.