Can I carry gardening tools in public?

i do hope you noticed he was stopped for suspected drink driving. so nope. not randomly stopped.

keep trying.

Had he been drink driving? I've been pulled for that once - sober as a judge. It may well have been a case of mistaken identity (God knows how I wasn't even in a pub!) but I was stopped by not one but two cop cars and a dog van. They were all very friendly but patted me down and made do a breath test. "Green light, no problems sir, safe journey home." I hadn't been speeding and had no lights out. Now if they'd found a leatherman with a locking blade that night may well have ended quite differently.

You mean like this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7593039/Disabled-caravanner-given-criminal-record-for-penknife-in-car.html

The beak wisely chose a discharge. I dont think they will be able to do taht these days though.

I'll have your apology now thanks.

That's insane. A conditional discharge is still a criminal conviction.

If you do get caught and charged be aware the minimum sentence for that is six months inside. No fine, no community service - custody.

You missed "and convicted". The defence is quite clear isn't it?

---------- Post added 27-09-2016 at 07:20 ----------

A leatherman is going to be a <3" folding blade as well, so unless it locks then there's not even grounds for an arrest.

You mean like this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7593039/Disabled-caravanner-given-criminal-record-for-penknife-in-car.html

The beak wisely chose a discharge. I dont think they will be able to do taht these days though.

The headline specifically says it was a Swiss Army penknife, which is odd because the vast majority of them have blades less than 3", which (as you know) is perfectly legal and doesn't even need a reason for carrying.

You missed "and convicted". The defence is quite clear isn't it?

---------- Post added 27-09-2016 at 07:20 ----------

A leatherman is going to be a <3" folding blade as well, so unless it locks then there's not even grounds for an arrest.

Almost every Leatherman is considered a locking knife though - there are only a few that are "UK legal"

---------- Post added 27-09-2016 at 10:25 ----------

The headline specifically says it was a Swiss Army penknife, which is odd because the vast majority of them have blades less than 3", which (as you know) is perfectly legal and doesn't even need a reason for carrying.

But it was a locking one - there are a number of them that do lock and hence need good reason to carry.

You mean like this?

Odd that cutting up fruit is not a good enough reason for having a knife.

I know lots of campers who carry pen knifes for cutting up food - strange that is this not a good enough reason?