Can I carry gardening tools in public?

To be clear, a locking knife is illegal to carry in public.

Owning a locking knife is not illegal, and having it in your car isn't illegal (unless your car has been redesignated as public whilst I wasn't looking).

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 18:31 ----------

Visibility isn't part of the test at all, otherwise hiding your knife in your pocket would be just as okay as carrying it in a B&Q plastic bag.

I think you'll find that the car is fair game. Watch* some of these fly on the wall cop shows - they're really quite an eye opener. One guy they were determined to find something on so charged him because he had a machete - along with a load of other gardening tools.

*Actually don't watch it, it's both depressing and only partially informative. Watch something else instead.

Of course if you catch SO19 on a bad day they might well kill you and then apologize afterwards. You could be carrying a chair leg, or just a bit too sun tanned... But either way, you end up dead.

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 18:28 ----------

I suspect that you're mistaken, although if you can show the legislation where this is made clear then I'll change my view.

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 18:30 ----------

To be clear, a locking knife is illegal to carry in public.

Owning a locking knife is not illegal, and having it in your car isn't illegal (unless your car has been redesignated as public whilst I wasn't looking).

Or to be clearer, a locking knife is legal to carry in public ONLY if you have a good reason. As far as I'm aware, this applies in your car too.

Or to be clearer, a locking knife is legal to carry in public ONLY if you have a good reason. As far as I'm aware, this applies in your car too.

I cut things with mine.

Mobiles are great for most things, making a phone call and taking a photo. Who knows when there might be something that is photogenic.

Dont most people do that, just carry things on the off chance?

I cut things with mine.

Mobiles are great for most things, making a phone call and taking a photo. Who knows when there might be something that is photogenic.

That's what a lot of people do. When I carry one if I'm just out and about I make sure its non-locking. You've probably noticed that by just carrying a locking blade you haven't turned into a knife wielding murdering psychopath.

There was a thread on here a few years back from someone who wanted it to be illegal to carry any knife. They'd have had you banged up El Cid!

There was a thread on here a few years back from someone who wanted it to be illegal to carry any knife. They'd have had you banged up El Cid!

I didnt measure my recent purchase to see if it was 3", it does lock tho, you would cut your fingers if it didnt lock.

I cut things with mine.

In the eyes of the law, "just in case" is not good enough reason. That's why you can carry a non-locking folding knife, just in case you need to cut things.

I think you'll find that the car is fair game. Watch* some of these fly on the wall cop shows - they're really quite an eye opener. One guy they were determined to find something on so charged him because he had a machete - along with a load of other gardening tools.

*Actually don't watch it, it's both depressing and only partially informative. Watch something else instead.

Being charged doesn't mean that the CPS didn't throw it straight out...

---------- Post added 29-09-2016 at 07:29 ----------

No, a locking knife is not legal to carry in public. It's an absolute offence I think. (Might have to look this up, as I'm slightly doubting what I've said now).

No, a locking knife is not legal to carry in public. It's an absolute offence I think. (Might have to look this up, as I'm slightly doubting what I've said now).

"Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason."

From here- https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

---------- Post added 29-09-2016 at 08:06 ----------

I didnt measure my recent purchase to see if it was 3", it does lock tho, you would cut your fingers if it didnt lock.

Just out of curiosity, what actions do you (you personally) perform where your knife would cut your fingers if it didn't lock?

Being charged doesn't mean that the CPS didn't throw it straight out...

---------- Post added 29-09-2016 at 07:29 ----------

A car is a public place - it's no different from having a knife in your suitcase or backpack.

A locking knife is perfectly legal in public IF you have good reason... it's not therefore an absolute offence. I think what you mean is an offence of strict liability as it doesnt require mens rea to be established, just actus reus.

---------- Post added 29-09-2016 at 08:35 ----------

Of course if you catch SO19 on a bad day they might well kill you and then apologize afterwards. You could be carrying a chair leg, or just a bit too sun tanned... But either way, you end up dead.

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 18:28 ----------

I suspect that you're mistaken, although if you can show the legislation where this is made clear then I'll change my view.

That's why you carry it an a non threatening manner :)

As for the knife you need to read the relevant case law and judges comments, which I will find given half a chance.... somewhere...

As for the knife you need to read the relevant case law and judges comments, which I will find given half a chance.... somewhere...

Don't spend too long searching; most of the legislation mentioned is available from the link I included in Post 66 earlier in this thread.

I believe that this is probably the relevant comment;

Taken from R E G I N A - v - DESMOND GARCIA DEEGAN

" The Divisional Court in Harris v DPP and Fehmi v DPP 96 Cr.App.R. 235 held that to be "a folding pocket-knife" the blade has to be readily and immediately foldable at all times simply by the folding process."

I think this also covers Multitools where the blade is on the inside of the plier handle like the Original Leatherman.

Here the blade can be exposed with the tool closed, and is not Immediately Foldable, though it is of course far safer in use. :rolleyes:

Compare this with the current Juice range, for example, which have a blade which is "Immediately Foldable" regardless of the configuration of the pliers' handle.