Disability and getting a job

allan101

Hi a year and a half ago I completed a diploma in health and fitness finish the whole thing in five months I also got a award for outstanding contribution to sport.

I am partially sighted but this never stopped me from doing what I wanted but like I said this was a year and a half ago and I still can't get a job. I applied for 50+ jobs so I have lied on two applications had interviews but when I came clean never heard from the employers again.

Have you had similar problems? Do you think even though there are equal rights there is actually no equal rights?

Iv often said closing of Remploy was a disaster for disabled people. Its very rare you will find a mainstream employer willing to take you on if they do its often on the grounds it makes the company look good often such jobs are part time on hours no one else wants. Don't lie to them it will get you into trouble right its not worth it. The only way for a disabled person to get work is self employment but this is a big step remember you got to make a living after tax , is what you are offering in demand to bring in the money, sort out your national insurance and tax yourself if yes I can do that perhaps worth a try but think it though first. As for equality what people say and what they do is often planets apart. Another factor is with the economic down turn employers can pick and choose who they want now . Don't get into the self blame game its just the times we live unfortunately.

This is a sad story to hear, I thought companies had to take on a percentage of disabled people.

I want to applaud you for not taking the negative route and making something good come out of your disability, good luck I'm sure there is someone out there with the sense to believe in your achievements