Anyone but NPower!

Chocolate fireguards do not work. Neither do NPower.

In 2011, I arranged for NPower to supply my utilities. They cocked it up, no we didn’t, then yes we did, then got the direct debit wrong, took over £800 in credit, refused to refund the amount or deal with my complaint. After complaining they still didn’t fix it.

I wrote 12 letters, involved the industry watchdog [OFGEM] and contacted the Ombudsman. The result was I received my money back, closed my account, received two large compensation payments and left. That’s the important bit – I left!

Incredibly, in 2016 I received a demand for £215 payment for utilities used! I have no account, no debt, nothing. Yet I received 3 demands by letter for payment. Also, the threat of court action and a bailiff’s letter.

This was over 3 years later. The NPower computers once again throwing up my name and creating a false demand for £215!

Phone calls and 2 letters later I get the same telephone promises: they’ll sort it, immediately, no more letters – ever, promise, all finished.

A few days later I get another demand for £215! Also, another threat of ‘court action.’ This, despite a Customer Services Manager promising me – no more.

Then I receive 2 letters in one day. The head of Customer Service – no less – tells me ‘I must keep paying for my utilities’. I wonder if he means the imaginary ones that I don’t have with NPower? And that I’m a valued customer. But I have no account. I have to ‘clear security’. What security? I have no account. Why do they still hold my details under the data protection act?

Then the second letter, the real stunner, informs me that I have a credit with them! The exact sum of my money that they hold is £214.90.

They’ve held it for over 3 years!

Now they inform me that my money will be returned to me by cheque! Within days!

So the ‘bill’ , the demand for £215 is really a ‘credit’ they have held of £214.90 for over 3 years!

The incompetence is absolutely staggering. Beyond belief.

I have contacted the Ombudsman in order to add to the long list of complaints they receive about NPower. A company that are unfit, possibly dishonest and incompetent beyond expecting a fish to ride a bicycle to Tour de France victory.

Whatever you do avoid NPower. And if you are with NPower, other suppliers are cheaper and certainly more competent, listening and caring.

NPower ……….No Power thank you.

I left them years ago after they consistently increased my direct debit payments to them year after year after year . . .

How on earth (1) they all still allowed to trade and (b) why all their customers haven't left them for alternative suppliers, I will never know :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
What do we think about John Lewis for telephone/broadband services? The cost seems quite reasonable.

They are run by PlusNet, and services by PlusNet..... so it's pretty much just PlusNet....

but this has nothing to do with this thread any ways...

with regards to the OP,

I'm with nPower, and owe them some money (due to my bank making a mistake) - it's set to deduct from my meter each time I top up, and has been doing so for a while now...

I recently received a letter from them, saying that I need to pay the balance in full before the 12th Oct or they are going to look into Court Proceedings....

I continue to top up my gas, and it continues to deduct "debt" from me each time I do.... I haven't been able to call them yet as I have no credit, but will be sorting it on Monday....