Why do so many people still speed when driving?

It's clearly not "knowledge". They commissioned a report into the speed limit on the A57. The report was not written by an individual who knew the road and had massive brakes, it was a professional report. It was the "knowledge". They ignored it and lowered the limit anyway, one can only assume for political reasons.

And the 30 limit on Penistone Rd, well, we all know just how well respected that is and exactly how many accidents driving at 40mph has caused on that road.

Sorry my post was not clear -

I was meaning that those drivers had knowledge, not the planners. I was countering someone's accusation of "driver arrogance".

I went out cycling yesterday afternoon - wow, that's a scary business isn't it?

The reason for some of these 50mph limits on what would normally be 70mph is nothing to do with safety.

It's to reduce pollution,traffic at 50mph is supposed to be less polluting than at 70mph.

A narrow country road near me which has a 40mph limit opens onto a very wide section which is has a 30mph limit and four houses to one side.

Catches quite a few including me at 36mph.

Edited by davyboy