Why do so many people still speed when driving?

Most sat navs don't have alerts for speed cameras anyway.

---------- Post added 17-10-2016 at 07:30 ----------

Actually, not everyone has a SatNav. On a broader point, neither my wife nor myself break the speed limit on purpose, but we both agree that in actual fact, the kind of driver who habitually speeds is probably less likely to get caught by the kind of speed cameras they than a law abiding motorist. The reason is the speeders put a lot of their concentration into looking for speed cameras (concentration, it must be said, they should be putting into driving safely....) whereas the rest of us don`t do that because we habitually stick to the limit. The only amswer is to make speed cameras impossible to see, which would also increase their effectiveness. I cannot imgine why they`re made so obvious*. By definition it means that speed cameras are far less likely to reduce speeding on the road network as a whole.

* Actually I can, the motorist lobby, more precisely a certain section of the motorist lobby, make an inordinate amount of noise. It`s out of all proportion to their numbers. Read any thread on any forum about motoring and you`ll soon see I`m right.

You cannot imagine why a device that is supposed to reduce speed at a specific accident blackspot might be made obvious to see?

Dont those accident blackspots have roadside signs saying slow down?

Cameras can ONLY be placed in accident blackspots, although this is often abused as the cameras are placed within the distance required, but not really at the dangerous spot, more like at the spot where most people are likely to get snapped.

Cameras can ONLY be placed in accident blackspots, although this is often abused as the cameras are placed within the distance required, but not really at the dangerous spot, more like at the spot where most people are likely to get snapped.

It doesn't make a great deal of sense to place a camera bang on the hot spot.

Makes more sense to aim for drivers to have slowed down before the hotspot. Hence the. Andra location "within a 1000 metres".

---------- Post added 18-10-2016 at 05:32 ----------

Dont those accident blackspots have roadside signs saying slow down?

Yes, Council expenditure on road signage, paint and surfacing is generally reactive to crashes. If we care to, we can therefore pick up the clues as to how and where others have crashed and have a driving plan to avoid getting involved in a similar incident.

There are a lot more warning triangles (and speed limit signs) etc than speed cameras. Switch on, folks!

---------- Post added 18-10-2016 at 05:37 ----------

Yes, we understand that. Geared asked if they weren't illegal in some countries and I don't know the answer.

I once read and was told verbally that the French had made the ordinary TomTom illegal if it has a Speed Camera location service turned on.

Anecdotally, I was told that one such driver was stopped and given the option of a 400 Euro fine or "drive over the TomTom" - peculiarly French, I thought.

The French TomToms, I was told, identified the cameras as "accident black spots" to get around it.

I haven't been through France since so haven't checked this out.

But just have and more info' here: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5560/~/tomtom-speed-camera-service-and-the-law

Edited by DT Ralge