What is a pub ?

jemson

Just contemplating `Top 10 Pubs 2016` list and that. What with all the pubs that are closing each week, what actually is a pub in 2016? Strikes me that the traditional model is dying out but many other types of pubs are thriving.

What is a pub? Wisdom words appreciated.

There is the legal 'licensed premises' element of the definition...'for the consumption of intoxicating liquor...' etc.

But I'd say for starters it has to sell beer for drinking on site. If it doesn't sell beer (or it's only for a carry-out) it's not a pub.

The thing it sells most of must be alcoholic drinks. If it's more about coffee, food or cocktails it's not a pub.

But It's a grey area these days. So it might include some cafe bar type places (eg The Old House or Forum) but I wouldn't call them 'pubs' as such, they are certainly not 'traditional pubs'.

I think pub vs café-with-beer vs bottle-shop-with-taps is relatively easy to define

where pubs end and bars begin is another matter!

Definitely think a pub has to be significantly wet-led and predominantly on-sales. But while I would say e.g. Brewpuppy is definitely a bar not a pub, I'd struggle to actually define why!

The old fashioned British pub is an dying breed pubs like the ' Big Gun' or the 'Hen and Chickens' struggle on in their own way throw backs in time. Marstons brewery are selling off most of its old stock pubs that they feel can not deliver on 21st century needs things like its not possible to add on an kitchen or just too uneconomical to revamp are been sold off. The brewery has built some pubs that focus on family dinning environment as that is what people now want food is key to their sales not the traditional wet led sales .

Walkley Beer Co. got pub of the month a bit ago. Apparently the criteria was that they sold beer and had chairs and tables to enable people to sit in and drink.

OK it's not a "traditional" pub, but there again this is the Century of the Fruitbat and we should be moving on from dart boards, karaoke and Creamflow. (And thankfully we are).

It depends on what you are trying to define it for...

A pub contains a bar, so on that basis is the difference between a pub and bar the atmosphere and facilities added on?

The term pub is short for public house - if the bar is open to the public does that make it a pub? Or does the 'house' bit come into play - a pub is of a more traditional design and layout, a bar can simply be a room with a bar in it? But then what about the new wave of micro-pubs.... for example on Ecclesall Road the Beer House feels like a traditional pub but the Portland House feels like a modern bar - yet both are basically doing the same thing.

A CAMRA Pub of the month award is a means of recognising places that consistently serve good real ale and provide a welcoming place to drink it and treats a pub/bar/shop the same if it has real ale for the public to drink on the premises. Clubs, restaurants and private hotel bars are however treated differently, mainly because there are restrictions on who can buy beer there applied (that you have to be a member/diner/resident for example).

Good question.

A pub, to me at least, is defined by the sum of it's parts. Whether a traditional model, a micro pub or a modern bar, it's more about what it's serving, it's clientele and what it provides within it's locality.

I consider a good pub to be one which provides a warm and welcoming atmosphere to all and that it embraces an eclectic group rather than a clique. The sort of boozer where you'll find a University lecturer talking to a plasterer, a pensioner chatting with some students, football fans talking to families and yet all of them rubbing along together to create a good ambience.

Within that, a pub should be a place where everyone pitches in together to help each other out - whether that be a recommendation on a good electrician or getting 'Bob' a pint because you know he's a bit short this week. Where if someone doesn't turn in for a few days then people are asking if they've been seen and are they OK.

A good pub works because of the symbiotic nature between customers and management and where people genuinely care rather than it solely being a vehicle to drag cash out of the punters.

As said, add into that mix some decent, well kept beer, good (and happy) staff and you're more than halfway there to what I personally would define as a pub.

Interesting question, what is a pub ?

What is the difference between a pub and a bar, maybe thats another topic (West Street has plenty of bars).

My opinion is a pub is a place where you can sit down have a nice pint and chat, or in my case play word brain.

I have seen many changes in sheffield over the year as I go visiting pubs for my Top10 as well.

We are getting beer bottle shops now selling ales, either on keg or cask, but are these pubs, I dont class them as pubs but its the way forward and no doubt they will be more popping up next and year after.

Then we have micro-pubs popping up, basically a closed shop turned into a bar, or is it a pub, well its happening and no doubt we will see more next year and the year after.

One thing we will see next year and year after is brewery pubs popping up, they seem to be more in Sheffield now.

Looking forward to your Top10 as well,