End of a music era

I have to agree, the record shop situation in Sheffield is embaressing. If your not into house/garage/cheese you really struggle....Cool Wax is especially sh*te.

I'm into soul/funk/hip hop/dub etc and it makes more sense to jump on a train to manc or get on the internet than bother with most of what Sheffield has to offer :o

Ditto.

I've travelled to Manc, Leeds, Nottingham (Arcade Records RIP), Leics, B'ham, Bristol and London for vinyl. Also Juno, Soul Brother, etc, receive a vast amount of my salary.

DefStef : True, some gems to be had (back in the day), but I won't frequent the place now. Truly bad customer service.

the Burberry mongoloids:hihi:

but shops like The Store helped to construct a halo of culture which is sadly receding. I don't know, maybe it's a fashion thing. Kids like guitars these days (luddites).

Do I detect a hint of musical snobbery creeping in here? The Store was a fine shop but did cater for a niche market after a certain sort of (ahem..) "authentic" music...

;)

Do I detect a hint of musical snobbery creeping in here? The Store was a fine shop but did cater for a niche market after a certain sort of (ahem..) "authentic" music...

;)

I have to agree, some people have just come across as complete snobs here...

Yeah, those £100 excursions to Oldham Street really hurt the wallet. Really, there's only Lowlife/Natural Shy for decent dancier stuff these days, and even they have been pushed to a site where they're not likely to get passing trade from someone who didn't know they were there. Compare this to a few years ago when The Store was still on Division St., Fopp had an extensive vinyl selection upstairs, the Forum had VM (is that what it was called when it was upstairs, too - or only when it was downstairs before the Drum 'n' Bass Arena shop?), Broomhill had Nutopia, Lowlife had just opened ('til 7pm every day at that point) and all of this was fields.

[edit:] I forgot to mention Fox's records. Shef to the bone.

There's still some good shops for older/more obscure stuff - Spin City, Forever Changes, Record Collector - but shops like The Store helped to construct a halo of culture which is sadly receding. I don't know, maybe it's a fashion thing. Kids like guitars these days (luddites).

You forgot to mention Rare and Racy for essential minimalist jazz.

Agree with you on Fox's, Spin City and Forever Changes - great shops. I heard Record Collector is closing down so Sheffield will be even poorer for record shops. Oh to have an area like Manchester's Oldham St, or Soho's Berwick St, or the Ladbroke Grove end of Portabello Rd in Sheffield.

I have to agree, some people have just come across as complete snobs here...

there really are some extraordinarily pretentious people commenting on this thread. for loads of people coolwax was very important and that is worth noting.

admittadly sheffield is poor for record stores but if you actually go to them and use them and create demand then it'll get better

I had a puzzling trip to Spin City recently, everything I picked out of one of their boxes and tried to buy I was either told the box hadnt been sorted yet so they couldnt give me a price or that actually they wanted to keep the item I had picked for their own collection.

I'm sorry, but how could you equate Cool Wax closing to the "end of a music era"? It's rubbish - second only to Reflex in terms of utter sh*tness. The Store closing affected music in Shef greatly. But Cool Wax?

yes indeed Cool wax was nothing that special, and what happend to the Store, i used to love that little shop, it always had some gems inside. But whan i do like is Refelx, not for its 4x4x4 or whatever they call it these days, but the second hand section downstairs has loads of classic hip hop, some lovely UK stuff and tons of scratch / sample records to be played with. I was suprised too!

yes indeed Cool wax was nothing that special, and what happend to the Store, i used to love that little shop, it always had some gems inside. But whan i do like is Refelx, not for its 4x4x4 or whatever they call it these days, but the second hand section downstairs has loads of classic hip hop, some lovely UK stuff and tons of scratch / sample records to be played with. I was suprised too!

Yeah totally agree actually. I think I've bought some stuff from downstairs, and upstairs, too - shock, horror! And I am a snob. I hate most people. I was also pondering including Rare 'n' Racy James, but I haven't bought anything from there for years. As for the store catering for a "niche market" after a certain sort of music, Jake, I totally agree. The "certain sort of music" was good music, and the "niche market" was people who like good music.

as mentioned, Reflex has the two floors covering a variety of tastes and have found some crackin tunes downstairs but the last time I went I shelled out 13 nicker for two eps! :o nowt special either, both from Grand Central- how much does it cost to ship em over the pennines!

Archived