What did we earn in the 1970's?

wrinkly67

A friend, renovating an old property, has just come across part of an old newspaper advertising a Showwaddy and Rubettes show which I'm thinking would be the 70's? Dearest tickets were £9.50 which seemed a lot for almost 50 years ago. But can't recall what we were earning then. Anyone remember?

It also depends on exactly when in the 1970s, as it was a time of high inflation (it peaked at an annual rate of over 25% in mid-1975). So prices - and hopefully incomes - rose over 3½ times during the decade. In October 1970 I started as a 22 year-old bank messenger on a weekly wage of a little under £13.

A friend, renovating an old property, has just come across part of an old newspaper advertising a Showwaddy and Rubettes show which I'm thinking would be the 70's? Dearest tickets were £9.50 which seemed a lot for almost 50 years ago. But can't recall what we were earning then. Anyone remember?

'Showaddywaddy' and "The Rubettes' had their first hit records in 1974, I went to that show so I suppose that was the year. On a side issue: One of the original members of 'Showaddywaddy' (they were from Leicester) his son played for Sheffield Wednesday, their names I forget.

Edited by stpetre
Add