What did we earn in the 1970's?

wrinkly67

Thank you for this web site Iv'e saved it often wondered how much things would be today example in 1974 age 16 I paid 20p for a pk of 20 cigs today tha'ts equivalent of £2.18 , I don't smoke anymore but friends tell me nearly £10 a pk

Found my first job contract from 1973. I worked in the Labs at the Sheffield Smelting Co. and got £895 per year or around £17 per week. Gave my mum £17 for my board and still managed to save a bit after going out in town 3 nights a week. Mind you a pint was about 1/6 or 7.5p a pint and 25p to get into the top rank.

Started work in 75 on £83 a month, gave my Parents £20 board. Passed my exams in 79 and went on to £6500 a year, thought I was minted at the time.

I was given some advice, which was, before you get used to all that extra money buy a house. Luckily I took the advice. My boss at the time told me he could give me enough overtime to cover the mortgage so I worked my butt off

and don't regret any of it because I played as hard as I worked.

First job as an insurance clerk in 1970. £532 p.a. Also worked on the petrol pumps at a Jet garage on Effingham Road at weekends for 4/- an hour.

on reading these letters takes me back to 1988, i know it is not in the same timescale but at this time we production workers where i worked came to be earning £5 per hour, i saw an old workmate at the time he had been made redundant a while later. he said he had just been to see a jobcentre the job was paying 80 pence per hour with as much overtime he wanted.i'll not tell you his answer/

In the mid seventies I worked on the shop floor of a machine tool makers in the wicker and my take home pay was always around 70 pounds per week..

Not that the pay rate matters Mr.E. but where was the workplace, Stanley Street area ?