Pronunciation"..

Today my granddaughter remarked that I pronounced graph as Graf and photograph as fotograf.

She pronounced it as Grarf and fotograrf.

I looked this up and I,m pronouncing them the American way.

Seeing as I was raised in the East end of London I wonder how I got this what,s the northern way?

You are in good company, and I am from the Midlands. I would live in a casstle, not a carstle, on Sunday nights I have a bath not a barth.....

Don't start me on scones or sconns!

Well, I would have a barth in a carstle.

My daughter many years ago came home from school and talked about a hover crafft which was not the southern way.

It transpired that the first time she heard the word was from her teacher who was a northerner.

Down here we barth more often than once week.!!!!

Davyboy I don't understand how you can be pronouncing it the American way? Also your saying you pronounce some words in a southern and nothern accent? because you said you would say Graf instead of Graph and then you would say Barth instead of bath ?

Davyboy I don't understand how you can be pronouncing it the American way? Also your saying you pronounce some words in a southern and nothern accent? because you said you would say Graf instead of Graph and then you would say Barth instead of bath ?

Neither can I.

We were talking about her maths project she pointed out that I pronounced it graf.

When asked how I pronounce photograph I said photo grarf.

However when chatting about photos I said ,much to her amusement,

photograf.

So if I think how to pronounce it I say grarf but I naturally say graf.

Very strange:huh:

I, as a northerner don't get this at all. What is a photograrf? There is only one r in photograph so I pronounce it fotograf

If you can get a copy of Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson, I recommend it (I think it's out of print). It's a really interesting read, and things like this are all included.

English is so ridiculous that I'm not surprised I'm so bad at it :hihi: It has so few consistencies nor has any logic. It has an amazing history though. Languages on the whole I think are interesting.

My wife's sister moved to Sheffield many years ago and her grandchildren came to Kent n holiday.

We met up with them one afternoon and the cheeky little beggars (aged about 12 or so) said "eee donnt thay tork foony.

It was the first time they had been to civilisation.