Sheffield 10k marathon

callum1990

Thanks Andy. Many years ago i damaged my knee ligaments training for the Sheffield marathon, which kept me out of running / football and even walking for many months. I'm very cautious with my "pain barriers" now. Nursing a bit of a calf pull at the moment but did a flat 3 miles in 23 mins earlier today quite comfortably after a weeks rest.

Agree , times and target sound good. I`d recommend trying to do plenty of training off roads, even if it`s on the grass in the park as this will lessen the strains. Also getting a foam roller can really help and doing a bit of stretching and strengthening.

Parkrun is also worth a visit or two and will give you an accurate idea of a target as it`s always run as a 5km time trial.

Think I`ve done 23 half marathons , so far, and a few longer ones. :gag:

I`d like to do this one but the cost is pretty high imo.

yes £30 with donation. As I said before, not done one of these runs before. Because I am starting with a mate who's hardly done any training yet we opted for 1hr+ completion time but all being well I hope to beat that easily. I assume it will be a staggered start but do you still get blocked for the first 1/4 mile or so no matter how quick you can run?

Just run a satellite measured 10k, what i would classify as a medium to hard one. plenty of inclines. Halfway - Westfield - Crystal Peaks - Hackenthorpe - Owlthorpe - Mosboro village - Halfway. 53 mins 25 secs.

With race conditions, you'll probably be quite a bit quicker (always find I am). Not sure what it is, having other people around just seems to magically pull you along somehow.

Anyhow, just wanted to say, you'll know your body best, but maybe don't go too crazy trying to get a good time, and end up with an injury.

Good luck though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Done a fair bit of running since my last post. Ran a sat nav odometer measured 10k around the old Westfield school track last Thursday in 49m 25s. Completely flat though but quite muddy. Makes me think I am not going to get under 50 mins for the Sheffield 10K with the hills involved.

Looking at the course, you need to see where you are at time wise after the climb. After then it drops down Brocco bank and is flat / slightly downhill all the way home - ? (This is what I discussed with my wife who want to get under 60 mins).

Personally, I think you`ll surprise yourself. I think my 10k time requires me to run at 4.15 mins per km but I really struggle to do many of them outside of a race!