Yodel - Item not delivered, driver has signed in my name!

I was expecting a delivery from Yodel yesterday during the day. I wasn't in at noon and I got a text from Yodel stating "Item has been delivered". That had me surprised, because the parcel wasn't small enough to be posted through the letter box. Anyway, I come home in the evening and there is no parcel in sight, and no note through the letter box either. I checked the Yodel website for online tracking, and the website showed the status "Item has been delivered" along with cross (what looked liked an error sign) saying "Your parcel requires a signature".

I then contacted Yodel over online chat and asked them what was going on. The CS representative first tried to tell me it was perhaps delivered to a neighbour. Which one, I asked - as there was no note advising me of that. She asked me to check with all possible neighbours!!! I then asked her to check the signature on the delivery receipt, as that could help us figure out who had received it. To my surprise, it was signed in my name!

Yodel have now said they would "interview the driver" to find out about the parcel being delivered, and that it would take around two days.

I then checked with my neighbours on both sides, and none of them had received anything.

It's one thing for the driver to sign his name and state that he has either posted through the letterbox, or handed it to a neighbour. But signing the recipient's name sounds like forgery or cheating to me. Is it even legal for a delivery person to sign of behalf of the recipient? Any advise on what I can do now?

I`ve had bad experience with Yodel. Could not find the house was the reason given for one parcel. I dread having anything sent to me with Yodel and you don’t always know which courier is going to be used. Probably cheap for the seller but the recipient has to do all the chasing about.

On a positive note having Yodel in the system as a competitor helps keep the price of decent couriers like MyHermese in check.

Edited by Dr Afzal

I was expecting a delivery from Yodel yesterday during the day. I wasn't in at noon and I got a text from Yodel stating "Item has been delivered". That had me surprised, because the parcel wasn't small enough to be posted through the letter box. Anyway, I come home in the evening and there is no parcel in sight, and no note through the letter box either. I checked the Yodel website for online tracking, and the website showed the status "Item has been delivered" along with cross (what looked liked an error sign) saying "Your parcel requires a signature".

I then contacted Yodel over online chat and asked them what was going on. The CS representative first tried to tell me it was perhaps delivered to a neighbour. Which one, I asked - as there was no note advising me of that. She asked me to check with all possible neighbours!!! I then asked her to check the signature on the delivery receipt, as that could help us figure out who had received it. To my surprise, it was signed in my name!

Yodel have now said they would "interview the driver" to find out about the parcel being delivered, and that it would take around two days.

I then checked with my neighbours on both sides, and none of them had received anything.

It's one thing for the driver to sign his name and state that he has either posted through the letterbox, or handed it to a neighbour. But signing the recipient's name sounds like forgery or cheating to me. Is it even legal for a delivery person to sign of behalf of the recipient? Any advise on what I can do now?

Have had similar experience with them. Not great. There is a site called yodelhell.co.uk whcih probably says it all really

Edited by Detetcive

We had a similar issue with a parcel that was sent by UPS a few years ago. The driver signed a name which could not possibly be correct because a) the person whose name he signed didn't use his full name in his signature, and b) he was in Italy at the time. The parcel was actually left in our black bin, sitting on top of the rubbish, on collection day and so had been taken away with our rubbish. It had been sent by UPS as a separately insured item worth £600 and after investigation the driver was sacked and UPS (or at least their insurers) paid for duplicate item to be delivered.

Did you check in your blue bin and box? The Yodel cards aren't really cards any more, they're just little slips of paper which can get folded up and stuck inside your letter box, and if I'm not in the driver leaves it in our blue bin or box.

Contact the people who sent the parcel to make them aware of the situation, if you haven't already do so. You need to give Yodel a chance to interview the driver. Make sure you get the name of whoever you talk to at Yodel when you communicate with them again.

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

They are quite careless.. 2 parcel companies who are most unreliable are Yodel and MyHermes..

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 01:13 ----------

We had a similar issue with a parcel that was sent by UPS a few years ago. The driver signed a name which could not possibly be correct because a) the person whose name he signed didn't use his full name in his signature, and b) he was in Italy at the time. The parcel was actually left in our black bin, sitting on top of the rubbish, on collection day and so had been taken away with our rubbish. It had been sent by UPS as a separately insured item worth £600 and after investigation the driver was sacked and UPS (or at least their insurers) paid for duplicate item to be delivered.

Did you check in your blue bin and box? The Yodel cards aren't really cards any more, they're just little slips of paper which can get folded up and stuck inside your letter box, and if I'm not in the driver leaves it in our blue bin or box.

UPS are probably the best of all the private Parcel companies by a country mile

In their defence......

I had a parcel delivered today.

I was given a tracking number to follow it's progress from the seller to the local yodel depot, was able to see it was on the van for delivery today.....and it arrived safely and on time. :)

UPS are probably the best of all the private Parcel companies by a country mile

Which is why we'd ordered the items to be delivered by them. They still aren't immune to a driver who isn't following company rules though.