Takeaways, chip shops, coffee shops etc..responsible for obesity?

I just wonder what the motives are of the people who own these shops actually are?

We have an obesity epidemic and yet these companies sell products that are the very things that are keeping people fat.

Would it help if fish and chip shop owners asked people why they were buying fish and chips, and maybe even who they were buying the fish and chips for?

If someone was overweight then maybe the chip shop owner could take back the fish and chips and give the customer a refund?

I accept that this would cost sales but perhaps if we reimbursed the fish and chip shop for lost sales then this wouldn't be so bad? (maybe £6 per lost sale)

The fish and chip shop owner could then say "I've turned away 50 people so can I have 50 x £6 = £300", the chip show owner money could then reclaim the lost sales from some kind of anti obesity department?

Its not just fish and chip shops, this could apply to Chinese takeaways, coffee shops etc.....to compensate the owners for lost sales?

Yes we would be paying business owners to lose sales

But as a society we need to do something to sort out this epidemic

Edited by rogets

I just wonder what the motives are of the people who own these shops actually are?

We have an obesity epidemic and yet these companies sell products that are the very things that are keeping people fat.

Would it help if fish and chip shop owners asked people why they were buying fish and chips, and maybe even who they were buying the fish and chips for?

If someone was overweight then maybe the chip shop owner could take back the fish and chips and give the customer a refund?

I accept that this would cost sales but perhaps if we reimbursed the fish and chip shop for lost sales then this wouldn't be so bad? (maybe £6 per lost sale)

The fish and chip shop owner could then say "I've turned away 50 people so can I have 50 x £6 = £300", the chip show owner money could then reclaim the lost sales from some kind of anti obesity department?

Its not just fish and chip shops, this could apply to Chinese takeaways, coffee shops etc.....to compensate the owners for lost sales?

Yes we would be paying business owners to lose sales

I'm lost for words!

I was listening to radio four today, the Government are thinking about restricting portion sizes in restaurants/take aways. How ridiculous.

I don't really think obesity can be blamed on the good old fish and chip shop, as there were many more of these around in the 50s/60s and people were much fitter then.

But, if you look at the access we have to the takeaway food that's available 24/7 - that might be a factor, along with too much sugar in our diet and lack of exercise due to changing lifestyles and mod cons, which people didn't use years ago you might be getting nearer the real issue.

I wouldn't want some fish and chip shop owner telling me I couldn't have my favorite dish, especially as I have been probably gagging for it for the last two hours. :shakes:

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 10:46 ----------

I was listening to radio four today, the Government are thinking about restricting portion sizes in restaurants/take aways. How ridiculous.

While at the same time refusing to regulate how much-hidden sugar manufacturers put in their products. :loopy:

Why?

If these shops are making profits making people fat then why not pay them to help solve the problem?

Paying shops not to sell would be a good start?

You don't see any problem with refusing to sell certain foods to fat people? Or getting staff to ask people (which they judge are overweight) who they are buying the food for?

You don't see any problem with refusing to sell certain foods to fat people? Or getting staff to ask people (which they judge are overweight) who they are buying the food for?

and you could make the same point about cigarettes and alcohol - it all comes at a cost to the NHS and taxpayer.