Takeaways, chip shops, coffee shops etc..responsible for obesity?

Adertising, we used to have public information films, these days manufactures are allowed to spread their lies.

Tis true!

However, every supermarket advertises alcohol but we all know not to drink a bottle of whiskey every night because we might end up with liver disease or dead.....

I agree advertisment doesn't help but no one has a gun held to their head do they! Again, and i'll keep saying it! It is up to US what goes into our bodies...

Tis true!

However, every supermarket advertises alcohol but we all know not to drink a bottle of whiskey every night because we might end up with liver disease or dead.....

They are not allowed to glamourise alcohol, but there are still many with a health problem due to alcohol, or just the millions of accidents.

I just wonder what the motives are of the people who own these shops actually are?

We have an obesity epidemic and yet these companies sell products that are the very things that are keeping people fat.

Would it help if fish and chip shop owners asked people why they were buying fish and chips, and maybe even who they were buying the fish and chips for?

If someone was overweight then maybe the chip shop owner could take back the fish and chips and give the customer a refund?

I accept that this would cost sales but perhaps if we reimbursed the fish and chip shop for lost sales then this wouldn't be so bad? (maybe £6 per lost sale)

The fish and chip shop owner could then say "I've turned away 50 people so can I have 50 x £6 = £300", the chip show owner money could then reclaim the lost sales from some kind of anti obesity department?

Its not just fish and chip shops, this could apply to Chinese takeaways, coffee shops etc.....to compensate the owners for lost sales?

Yes we would be paying business owners to lose sales

But as a society we need to do something to sort out this epidemic

No one is forced to eat fast food

No one has a gun held to their heads

Dont blame the takeways

I wonder if the fats and sugars in food and drink are addictive.

I know sheer laziness can sometimes be a factor in poor eating, as can certain health conditions.

Though having said that some foods and drinks with sugar alternatives like saccharine can be extremely bad for you - so it may be healthier to have full sugar Coke, than the 'zero sugar' alternative....

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 15:31 ----------

Adertising, we used to have public information films, these days manufactures are allowed to spread their lies.

Good point.

Some of the public information films I grew up with are certainly very memorable - particularly Charlie the Cat ;)

I wonder if the fats and sugars in food and drink are addictive.

I know sheer laziness can sometimes be a factor in poor eating, as can certain health conditions.

Though having said that some foods and drinks with sugar alternatives like saccharine can be extremely bad for you - so it may be healthier to have full sugar Coke, than the 'zero sugar' alternative....

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 15:31 ----------

Good point.

Some of the public information films I grew up with are certainly very memorable - particularly Charlie the Cat ;)

I couldn't find one about healthy eating, but here's Charlie the Cat from the 70's

I just wonder what the motives are of the people who own these shops actually are?

We have an obesity epidemic and yet these companies sell products that are the very things that are keeping people fat.

Would it help if fish and chip shop owners asked people why they were buying fish and chips, and maybe even who they were buying the fish and chips for?

If someone was overweight then maybe the chip shop owner could take back the fish and chips and give the customer a refund?

I accept that this would cost sales but perhaps if we reimbursed the fish and chip shop for lost sales then this wouldn't be so bad? (maybe £6 per lost sale)

The fish and chip shop owner could then say "I've turned away 50 people so can I have 50 x £6 = £300", the chip show owner money could then reclaim the lost sales from some kind of anti obesity department?

Its not just fish and chip shops, this could apply to Chinese takeaways, coffee shops etc.....to compensate the owners for lost sales?

Yes we would be paying business owners to lose sales

But as a society we need to do something to sort out this epidemic

1. The motives of shops is to seel their product so they can make money and probide for themselves and their family. Called earning a living.

2. They sell food. Any food has calories in. Why are you picking on fish and chips , what about all takeaways all supermarkets and restaurants? Any shops that sells food or beverages? If you asked every time, then what would you use the information for? Would they have to fill out a questionnaire and how would you know they were telling the truth?

3. Do you not think people might find it very nosey and would just find another shop?

4. So the idea is to make money by refusing fat people? Would you be weighing them vefore showing them the door? how would you have proof, would you make them stand on scales and take a photo?

You could have an army of professional fatties on tour with a full time job of getting rejected frim chip shops?

5. Its the taxpayer who foots the bill? You cnat see the problem in that or see its prone to abuse plus it wouldnt work?

Only on Sheffield forum.