Takeaways, chip shops, coffee shops etc..responsible for obesity?

I was listening to radio four today, the Government are thinking about restricting portion sizes in restaurants/take aways. How ridiculous.

Too right. I cant see anything wrong with fish and potatoes. A staple diet I would say. However if any of my food was diminished I would surely expect to see the price reduced, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

¿ People are overweight. Something must be done. This is something. Therefore we must do it. ¿

Many, many, many more people used to be a healthy weight; how has Government changed society so that more are obese, people are still the same.

Many, many, many more people used to be a healthy weight; how has Government changed society so that more are obese, people are still the same.

Less manual labour but increased calorie intake would be my guess.

Obesity is a Europe-wide problem.

You see what you did there. It didn't even occur to you to question whether government was responsible for the change. You assume it without foundation.

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 18:22 ----------

Excellent idea. I own 47 shops that sell nothing and could really do with the money!

This afternoon I've registered 192 home business not selling food. When does my truck full taxpayers' money get here?

Why blame the government?

People are wealthier and have access to more food at cheap prices.

Food industry pushes out cheap addictive high calories foods.

People live longer.

People move less as many work in offices and use cars for trips.

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 18:40 ----------

You see what you did there. It didn't even occur to you to question whether government was responsible for the change. You assume it without foundation.

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 18:22 ----------

This afternoon I've registered 192 home business not selling food. When does my truck full taxpayers' money get here?

What are you best rejectathon menu items?

Why blame the government?

People are wealthier and have access to more food at cheap prices.

Food industry pushes out cheap addictive high calories foods.

People live longer.

People move less as many work in offices and use cars for trips.

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 18:40 ----------

What are you best rejectathon menu items?

If you'd like to start by ordering no chips and no pie that would be much appreciated. If you could follow by not ordering something with a lot of chocolate I can afford to take the weekend off.

So Government is responsible when inflation rises and falls, living standards increase and crime rates change; but our health has nothing to do with Government?

If you'd like to start by ordering no chips and no pie that would be much appreciated. If you could follow by not ordering something with a lot of chocolate I can afford to take the weekend off.

Clearly not up to date with the process. You have to get me to order them, then challenge me for being a fatty. I then have to account who is going to eat what and the people have to be weighed.

You then take the products off of me abd say cant serve you today fatty , but please sign this for for my government refund. I will split the money with you and sell you the same products round the corner for half price. Please call again next week so I cna reject you again. Order more next time and bring the family.

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 19:09 ----------

So Government is responsible when inflation rises and falls, living standards increase and crime rates change; but our health has nothing to do with Government?

You are missing the point that government is just one factor of many that affects things.

I just wonder what the motives are of the people who own these shops actually are?

We have an obesity epidemic and yet these companies sell products that are the very things that are keeping people fat.

Would it help if fish and chip shop owners asked people why they were buying fish and chips, and maybe even who they were buying the fish and chips for?

If someone was overweight then maybe the chip shop owner could take back the fish and chips and give the customer a refund?

I accept that this would cost sales but perhaps if we reimbursed the fish and chip shop for lost sales then this wouldn't be so bad? (maybe £6 per lost sale)

The fish and chip shop owner could then say "I've turned away 50 people so can I have 50 x £6 = £300", the chip show owner money could then reclaim the lost sales from some kind of anti obesity department?

Its not just fish and chip shops, this could apply to Chinese takeaways, coffee shops etc.....to compensate the owners for lost sales?

Yes we would be paying business owners to lose sales

But as a society we need to do something to sort out this epidemic

I dont want to be seen as being Macenroe but you cannot be serious???

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 19:24 ----------

I was listening to radio four today, the Government are thinking about restricting portion sizes in restaurants/take aways. How ridiculous.

I thought that all of the restaurants the government ate at already restricted their portions. A mouthful for a mere 20 notes

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 19:26 ----------

You don't see any problem with refusing to sell certain foods to fat people? Or getting staff to ask people (which they judge are overweight) who they are buying the food for?

I assume that you will be wanting this to be extended to supermarkets etc?