Advice on free view, ariels and satellite dishes?

Dear kind folks of Sheffield Forum,

We're currently on Virgin Media (for phone, BB and TV). We're wanting to get rid, and have free view instead...

How does a satellite dish compare (pro's and con's) with an ariel?

How easy is it to install either yourself?

How much would each cost?

How much is installation likely to cost?

Any recommendations? (we're in S12)

Many thanks.

Freesat is better than freeview and I had a dish supplied and installed for £80.

Freesat boxes are varied, I got one that can record series links etc and my tennant is a happy bunny.

Freesat is better than freeview and I had a dish supplied and installed for £80.

Freesat boxes are varied, I got one that can record series links etc and my tennant is a happy bunny.

You could install an aerial in your loft, if you have a good signal, the roof would be better, cost around £100, DIY = £35

Thanks all.

Considering this...

Sky/Freesat HDR Satellite Dish DIY Self Installation Kit,Latest Dish with Quad LNB,15m Twin Cable all necessary Brackets,Bolts and SATELLITE FINDER https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004MQFHYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qnI8xbMZPFWNF

Would I need a freesat box too, or is it integrated in our TV?

---------- Post added 03-10-2016 at 10:36 ----------

Looks like no freesat integrated in TV, so looks like...

Openbox V8S (Newer Version of V5S) FULL HD 1080P Digital Freesat PVR TV Satellite Receiver Box WEB TV https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0156MR1TY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_RxI8xbJS67SAC

---------- Post added 03-10-2016 at 18:32 ----------

Is that all I need by the way, just the Openbox V8S and the Satellite Dish / Fixing Kit?

You could install an aerial in your loft, if you have a good signal, the roof would be better, cost around £100, DIY = £35

I installed two in the loft.. ( bungalow).. a good few years ago..one for living room,one for kitchen,cost £15-£20 each off E-Bay free delivery....never had any probs whatsoever...live in S26...

Perhaps consider signing up to Sky basic package. Satellite dish/box fitted free and the subscription can be cancelled after one year, leaving you with Free Sat. They used to have a referral bonus so if you know anyone should already has Sky, maybe check that out.

But you wont be able to use the Sky Set top box (Sky+ Box) to record programs unless you continue to pay them £10 per month.

Perhaps consider signing up to Sky basic package. Satellite dish/box fitted free and the subscription can be cancelled after one year, leaving you with Free Sat. They used to have a referral bonus so if you know anyone should already has Sky, maybe check that out.

If you leave after a year you don't get Freesat on your Skybox you just get the free to air channels. If you want Freesat you have to buy a one off card from Sky at £25 which gives you extra Freesat channels but you cannot record on the box. As already said if you want to record still you will have to pay £10pm.

Edited by iansheff