Should late bars and clubs close early?

In my town we have bars and clubs that are open until 6am no doubt their is such bars in Sheffield and every other city and town in the country. Recently in my home town of Chesterfield we have had a murder of a former soldier (26 and he had a son ) who was attacked allergy by three men he later died of his head injuries.

The area were the attack took place has quite a few bars close together the street itself is narrow and towards the bottom face onto the by- pass only a wall stands between the street and by- pass its a long way down. Many of bars have late night licenses ranging from 4am to 6am closing their has been assaults and general disorder Iv been told many interesting tales of what happens at weekends.

The victims mother and grandmother have set up as champaign to change the licencing hours so that bars and clubs close early to make it easier to Police the area. When I used to go out in town pubs used to open at 11am and close at 11pm , nightclubs 2pm surly that was enough by 3am the town was empty I don't understand the logic of opening until the small hours its crazy as this I could get on the last bus to town and return on the first bus back home !

Do we really need to have such late closing hours given the problems it has created?

I remember when pubs closed at 11pm and only one or two clubs were open later.

The streets were absolutely heaving, all the lads would have just necked several beers in quick succession at last orders.

You could guarantee there would be at least one fight outside a kebab shop or in the line for a club.

Do we really need to have such late closing hours given the problems it has created?

When pubs closed at 11pm most places were essentially un-policable, there just weren't enough police around to keep the vast crowds of people in control.

It'd be even worse now with all the cuts made to police numbers.

Edited by geared

In my town we have bars and clubs that are open until 6am no doubt their is such bars in Sheffield and every other city and town in the country. Recently in my home town of Chesterfield we have had a murder of a former soldier (26 and he had a son ) who was attacked allergy by three men he later died of his head injuries.

The area were the attack took place has quite a few bars close together the street itself is narrow and towards the bottom face onto the by- pass only a wall stands between the street and by- pass its a long way down. Many of bars have late night licenses ranging from 4am to 6am closing their has been assaults and general disorder Iv been told many interesting tales of what happens at weekends.

The victims mother and grandmother have set up as champaign to change the licencing hours so that bars and clubs close early to make it easier to Police the area. When I used to go out in town pubs used to open at 11am and close at 11pm , nightclubs 2pm surly that was enough by 3am the town was empty I don't understand the logic of opening until the small hours its crazy as this I could get on the last bus to town and return on the first bus back home !

I think I know where you mean (certainly if we're talking chesterfield). 20 odd years ago I got a kicking down that way - it was 10.30 on a Thursday night. A few weeks later there was some more argy bargy on a week night and somebody went over said wall 60ft onto the bypass and died.

20 years on I find myself (sober) in City centres around the country and theres always a chance of somebody who has had too much beer kicking off. Not much has changed.

---------- Post added 03-10-2016 at 17:42 ----------

I remember when pubs closed at 11pm and only one or two clubs were open later.

The streets were absolutely heaving, all the lads would have just necked several beers in quick succession at last orders.

You could guarantee there would be at least one fight outside a kebab shop or in the line for a club.

When pubs closed at 11pm most places were essentially un-policable, there just weren't enough police around to keep the vast crowds of people in control.

It'd be even worse now with all the cuts made to police numbers.

^^^^This sums it up perfectly !!!!!!

I think I know where you mean (certainly if we're talking chesterfield). 20 odd years ago I got a kicking down that way - it was 10.30 on a Thursday night. A few weeks later there was some more argy bargy on a week night and somebody went over said wall 60ft onto the bypass and died.

20 years on I find myself (sober) in City centres around the country and theres always a chance of somebody who has had too much beer kicking off. Not much has changed.

I remember that happening when that poor guy fell to his death he worked in one of bars down their wasn't that old late 1990s time.

Many who go out pre- load then take drugs and get totally wrecked to the point they have no idea what they are doing. Iv asked a few people in their early 20s what it is like to go out in town late on , one lass got nearly strangled by another women who she never spoke too or knew , one bar in Chesterfield has regularly assaults over the most mundane things. One lad told me never to go alone unless you want to be targeted says it all really .

I remember that happening when that poor guy fell to his death he worked in one of bars down their wasn't that old late 1990s time.

Many who go out pre- load then take drugs and get totally wrecked to the point they have no idea what they are doing. Iv asked a few people in their early 20s what it is like to go out in town late on , one lass got nearly strangled by another women who she never spoke too or knew , one bar in Chesterfield has regularly assaults over the most mundane things. One lad told me never to go alone unless you want to be targeted says it all really .

No it was early 90s and he didn't work down there - he was a old school big hitter who got into a fight with his drinking mate.

If you had a poll, then I would vote no. before the change in hours, then people had fights and they died then as well. Thing is at chucking out times it became a flash point for lots of drunk people hitting the streets at the same time.

No it was early 90s and he didn't work down there - he was a old school big hitter who got into a fight with his drinking mate.

That much has happened down their its hard to keep track plus people add on to the story. Iv never understood the logic of having all them bars down their it was originally shops and the Aston Hotel . Wasn't as if their a shortage of watering holes in town.

If you had a poll, then I would vote no. before the change in hours, then people had fights and they died then as well. Thing is at chucking out times it became a flash point for lots of drunk people hitting the streets at the same time.

There is a web site, maybe the South Yorkshire Police, where you put in a postcode and it lists all the crimes.

It can be interesting to see which street in your neighbourhood has a lot of crime, and if these bars are fueling crime, that is the information you need.

There is a web site, maybe the South Yorkshire Police, where you put in a postcode and it lists all the crimes.

It can be interesting to see which street in your neighbourhood has a lot of crime, and if these bars are fueling crime, that is the information you need.

Yeah but you won't find anything new. You can go back to the first time beer was brewed and you'll find one Sumerian* telling another he was his best mate before he nutted a stranger. Alcohol related violence is as old as time and we take to the highest level on a weekend in this country.

*google it like I had to.

Well you could shut all bars down and have no crime. A web site with data like that would be rather simplistic and there may be several reasons why a crime might have ocurred. You should also see it in prespective and context.