Why are there no public toilets in sheffield?

I think there used to be a public toilet up by Hillsborough Corner that's now a restaurant, I read it on the Forum a couple of years ago, maybe someone could confirm this?

The restaurant above Weatherspoons,was a house that was used by the

manager of the Hillsborough Baths.Directly at the topside of the house at the corner of the gennel was a public toilet.Now part of the rertaurant.

One toilet in Hillsborough that has not been mentioned.

Is the Tardis at the end of Holme Lane,which has

been replaced in the last year or so.

• 2 years later...

Vandalism, and the council being cheap and tight and not paying for the up-keep, taxes would have to go up cause they would have to pay so many more staff (cleaners, maintenance staff, people to watch over for vandalism etc)

Perhaps if we went to pay as you pee they might be self financing.

They're still in operation in many places especially touristy places,train/bus stations etc.

However in most places they queue in Costa for the loos without even buying anything, so i suppose 20p for a pee may not be viable.

I noticed recently the public toilets at Ford is now a detatched bungalow(could have been for ages but i haven't been there for years tbh)

Edited by willman
typos

Theres only 2 in the town center that im aware of 1st is in the winter gardens 2nd in the new market . Both only open in the day time. I suppose you could count the train station and bus station but not really the center of town or free .

There is also the Howden House and the Central Library. The Train and Bus stations certainly should be counted as centre of town because that's exactly what they are. _ its a big "centre".

Fact is that as a visitor to town there will be dozens of options available from the places you are visiting. If you are shopping all the major department stores and cafes have public toilets. If you are visiting an office or firm, all business buildings will have them.

If you are here outside daytime hours, presumably you are here on a night out and will have access to the toilets in every bar, pub, restaurant, theatre or cinema.

If you are travelling through then you will at some point have access to a toilet at the place you left, the train or bus stations or the place you intend to get to.

That leaves a small number of unfortunate people who are in the city at the wrong place and wrong time and seemingly don't have a facility. Unfortunately I don't agree that dwindling council resources should be put to a provide toilet facility for that very very small minority when there are plenty of other options.

There is even a whole list of business which the council direct people to use their freely available toilets:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/toilets/community-toilet/members.html