Why are there no public toilets in sheffield?

Sheffield until few years ago had quite a few public toilets but some were in a right state anyone remember the smelly ones at the bottom of the Moor or Meadowhead one the roof was falling in it would have cost a fortune to sort out cuts or no cuts wasn't worth the expense.

Does anyone remember the ones at Fitzallen Square ?

The main reason why public toilets are closing at the moment is because the government has cut the central grant to councils massively since 2010, and frozen Council Tax, forcing the council to make savage cuts to its spending, whilst trying to protect core services. There is actually no statutory duty for a council to provide public toilets, so off they go.

The Winter gardens themselves don't have a public toilet, even on the website it doesn't state it on the Facilities (bottom of the page you linked)

He asked where the Winter Gardens were? Are those not the Winter Gardens?

---------- Post added 06-10-2016 at 19:50 ----------

Does anyone remember the ones at Fitzallen Square ?

Where were they?

I can remember the ones at Hole in the Road.

The main reason why public toilets are closing at the moment is because the government has cut the central grant to councils massively since 2010, and frozen Council Tax, forcing the council to make savage cuts to its spending, whilst trying to protect core services. There is actually no statutory duty for a council to provide public toilets, so off they go.

How many have shut since 2010?

Most of the ones listed have been shut long before that.

How many have shut since 2010?

Most of the ones listed have been shut long before that.

These are just rough guess's :

Moorfoot toilets late 2011 I used to pass them when going to Dempsey's in the day used to see the chap in charge of them outside only went in once they were flooded and in a right mess.

Meadowhead closed 2012 a mate gave a lift home once we needed petrol and I needed the boys room. Very old fashioned the ceiling was falling in hence the only reason I remember them. The last I saw off them someone had stripped the flet of the roof.

I think their was some under the Town Hall.

There's a thread from 2014 discussing the same subject, the lack of loos obviously isn't a new thing...

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1338146

Groundhog day though. Regular moanathon.

---------- Post added 06-10-2016 at 20:50 ----------

and I was just saying how they don't have a toilet there, what's wrong with that?

That wasnt asked.

The nearest toilets to there are in the Millenium Gallery, which is attached to the Winter Garden.

These are just rough guess's :

Moorfoot toilets late 2011 I used to pass them when going to Dempsey's in the day used to see the chap in charge of them outside only went in once they were flooded and in a right mess.

Meadowhead closed 2012 a mate gave a lift home once we needed petrol and I needed the boys room. Very old fashioned the ceiling was falling in hence the only reason I remember them. The last I saw off them someone had stripped the flet of the roof.

I think their was some under the Town Hall.

I can't recall anything around Meadowhead.

I remember the ones under the Town Hall. A bit 'dungeony' weren't they? (probably cost a fortune to maintain as well in that old building).

Why there can't be a couple of modern facilities in a major city's centre? Money excuses and blame the Torys, same old story. When they were in power how many more toilets were there? 3 so far based on this post. One was prehistoric and one wasn't in town. People won't mind paying for it if they're clean.

There seem to be a lot of parking attendants around, sack a few of those. Or keep them and use some of the money the parking services make out of city centre spenders.