Why are there no public toilets in sheffield?

I have a daughter with learning difficulties and IBS. I have never had a problem walking into a pub and asking the bar staff "can she use the toilet, please?" The reply I've always received is "of course". .

I've never been told that I have to purchase anything.

I know Netto is no longer trading, but they had no problem letting my Daughter use their staff toilet

Well of course they will. That's not generally the scenario is it?

You think me as an ugly lanky weird tramp looking bearded man* could do the same?

I worked in a supermarket years ago, one that didn't have customer toilets (I don't think any did then), very very rare one ever asked. On occasion some mother or father would come up to staff and say their kid is desperate, and one of the staff would take them up to the staff toilets. No problem.

*I don't think I'm ugly or weird! :D

Oh my word - you really are 'on one' aren't you matey ! :rolleyes:

You clearly haven't bothered to read my posts - I was talking in general about the price of public toilets in London and the difficulties some people may have in reaching a toilet safely.

Chill out and get some compassion.

I dont lack compassion. However, it does seem that plenty of people lack common sense.

We are not talking about the "price" of toilets in London generally, you seem to be moving the goalposts.

You earlier focused on two specific areas in Central London and one particular facility which charges. I have set out that there are other options for someone who is really that desprate.

Since you raised it yes I am a little bit "on one". This is a subject that comes up time and time again on forums like this and in newspapers. I just do not understand what everyone is complaining about and why there is such protest that precious council monies are being diverted away from toilet provision. This is 2016. The country has moved on from communal bath houses and outside bogs.

I will concede, that there is always the exception of those rare people with such an unfortunate condition that they simply cannot wait, however, the real fact is that MOST people will at some point in their daily circumstances be within reach of public or private facility.

If you are shopping, all major stores, shopping malls and supermarkets have them. If you are dining or drinking out every restaurant and bar has them by law. If you are going to work or on business, every office, courthouse, government building and company premises will have one. If you are travelling all major transport interchanges have them. If you are out for leisure nearly every cinema, theatre, museum, exhibition centre, leisure park, sports ground or stadia will have them. If you are visiting as a tourist your hotels, bars, cafes and major tourist attractions will have them.

On top of this there is the addition of the chargeable cabins and other facilities you mention earlier. YES - some facilities do charge but life isnt free. Toilets cost money to run and money to maintain. Nip over to the continent and public loo payments is the very common thing.

I have said this before, if you really are one of those one in a million unfortunate people who is out in a major city with such a sudden and desprate need that you cannot possibly tick any of the above boxes then unfortunately lack of state funded loos really should be the least of your worries. As stated by others, any business is highly likely to make concessions for those who are ill, elderly, infirm, disabled or otherwise. In the real world, most busy shops and pubs in central London would barely notice someone nipping in anyway.

I really do not understand the demand and more importantly to this thread why it necessarilly has to be free and provided by taxpayer monies.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I dont lack compassion. However, it does seem that plenty of people lack common sense.

I don't think this shows you lack compassion.

I think it shows that you almost certainly don't understand some things, probably through lack of experience.

-

A lot of your post mentioned free toilets paid by council.

I haven't read much in the thread, but I've not seen anyone suggesting that - I suggested that a price could at least sustain its own costs, or near as to. I'd rather pay for a clean public toilet than use those old rank things that were all shut down.

Town is trying to encourage people into it? Then have some pay-per-use facilities (not those TARDIS things). You probably don't realise how many people have IBS these days - most probably because humans eat so much **** today, not to mention the stress/anxiety of knowing there isn't a toilet somewhere you are visiting! :D

If a public toilet or perhaps two, one on fargate one the moor, could sustain themselves up to a decent percentage of their cost, would you object? And do you think the shops would object?

I don't think this shows you lack compassion.

I think it shows that you almost certainly don't understand some things, probably through lack of experience.

-

A lot of your post mentioned free toilets paid by council.

I haven't read much in the thread, but I've not seen anyone suggesting that - I suggested that a price could at least sustain its own costs, or near as to. I'd rather pay for a clean public toilet than use those old rank things that were all shut down.

Town is trying to encourage people into it? Then have some pay-per-use facilities (not those TARDIS things). You probably don't realise how many people have IBS these days - most probably because humans eat so much **** today, not to mention the stress/anxiety of knowing there isn't a toilet somewhere you are visiting! :D

If a public toilet or perhaps two, one on fargate one the moor, could sustain themselves up to a decent percentage of their cost, would you object? And do you think the shops would object?

Think you will find public toilets do not make, but in fact lose big amounts of money. People will not pay. They have tried it before. There are toilets you can access, but you just have to use your common sense.

Yes they do have toilets in shops and pubs but for customers only so then its going relief myself its going to require an purchase . So these toilets are not free to use they are an business.

I find it hard to believe you don't know of or own an IBS card. I've never known a business be snotty to anyone with one.

https://www.theibsnetwork.org/cant-wait-card/

Why should the tax payer fund extra toilets when there are freely available ones already? At least 14 in the S1 area, if you see post #47 where they're listed.

ash.your plugging away and getting nowhere. eccnoob got it spot on.

Think you will find public toilets do not make, but in fact lose big amounts of money. People will not pay. They have tried it before. There are toilets you can access, but you just have to use your common sense.

Why should the tax payer fund extra toilets when there are freely available ones already? At least 14 in the S1 area, if you see post #47 where they're listed.

Fair enough.