Why are there no public toilets in sheffield?

I can't recall anything around Meadowhead.

I remember the ones under the Town Hall. A bit 'dungeony' weren't they? (probably cost a fortune to maintain as well in that old building).

Why there can't be a couple of modern facilities in a major city's centre? Money excuses and blame the Torys, same old story. When they were in power how many more toilets were there? 3 so far based on this post. One was prehistoric and one wasn't in town. People won't mind paying for it if they're clean.

There seem to be a lot of parking attendants around, sack a few of those. Or keep them and use some of the money the parking services make out of city centre spenders.

The Meadowhead ones are next to the petrol station a flat roofed building opposite is the ' Norton' pub basically next to the big roundabout. Never went in Town Hall ones because of the steps would have really struggled to get down.

I think the problem with public toilets besides cost is vandalism and other problems that go with them. As things are now someone would have to be employed to keep watch on them.

The Meadowhead ones are next to the petrol station a flat roofed building opposite is the ' Norton' pub basically next to the big roundabout. Never went in Town Hall ones because of the steps would have really struggled to get down.

I think the problem with public toilets besides cost is vandalism and other problems that go with them. As things are now someone would have to be employed to keep watch on them.

Well I think it's an excuse. It's not like a service that can't create part/enough revenue to sustain itself.

Its not a service that is necessary. Its 2016. We all have a toilet in our house. Every major public building in the city has one. Every place to eat and drink has one by law. Every major store and shopping arcade has one. All of the transport interchanges have them. Every office block has them. Every leisure facility has them

How many more are needed?

Pubic toilets exist. They are everywhere. Why does it HAVE to be the council that provides them. There are far better things for council money to be spent on.

Edited by ECCOnoob

The main reason why public toilets are closing at the moment is because the government has cut the central grant to councils massively since 2010, and frozen Council Tax, forcing the council to make savage cuts to its spending, whilst trying to protect core services. There is actually no statutory duty for a council to provide public toilets, so off they go.

So how much more council tax do you think I should be forced to pay on my Band C flat, £3k a year perhaps? I hardly think an increase this year of 4% is a freeze!

Edited by Zaphod

He asked where the Winter Gardens were? Are those not the Winter Gardens?

---------- Post added 06-10-2016 at 19:50 ----------

Where were they?

I can remember the ones at Hole in the Road.

Its years before the hole in the road. They were underground at the corners of the square itself.

Wetherspoons dont mind people using their toilets.

They are part of Sheffield City Councils 'Community Toilet Scheme'

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/toilets/community-toilet/members.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members of the public can use the toilet facilities in these premises during the normal opening hours. No purchase of goods or services is required.

The window sticker shown on this page should be displayed in the window of buildings taking part.

Disabled access and facilities in Sheffield.

We would like to thank the owners of the premises listed below for their help with this partnership scheme to provide more publicly available toilets in Sheffield.

B&Q, Greenland Road, S9 5HE

Bankers Draft, Market Place, S1 2GH

Benjamin Huntsman, Cambridge Street, S1 4HP

Debenhams, The Moor, S1 3LR

Frog and Parrot, Division Street, S1 4GF

Henry's Bar, Wellington Street S1 4HS

John Lewis, Barkers Pool, S1 1EP

Lifestyle Centre, Beighton, S20 1HE

Lloyds, The Sheffield Waterworks Company, Division Street, S1 4GF

Manor Library, Ridgeway Road, S12 2SS

Morrisons, Ecclesfield, S35 9WJ

Morrisons, Meadowhead, S8 7UE

Morrisons, Penistone Road, Hillsborough, S6 2GY

Orchard Square, City Centre, S1 2FB

Sheffield Railway Station, Sheaf Square, S1 2BP

SOYO, Rockingham Street, S1 4EB

Swim Inn, Glossop Road, S10 2GW

The Varsity, West Street, S1 4EW

The Wick At Both Ends, West Street, S1 4EW

Sorby House, Spital Hill, S4 7LG

Walkabout, Carver Street, S1 4FS

Yates's, Cambridge Street, S1 4HP

Further information

Become a member of the Community Toilet Scheme.

Contact us

The scheme is managed our Parks and Countryside service.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

Its not too bad in town centre. Further out where I live can be a bit of a problem. You can still see where the toilets outside the library were. In addition, just past the springvale, slightly further down you can see there were toilets on the other side of the road.

There are pubs you can use, but the reception you can receive is very dependent on the landlord.