Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

A reminder that many homeless cannot access much of this, due to the bureaucracy involved and the fact that many homeless are, for example, on the autistic spectrum.

In effect, the caring general public are placated by the fact that help is available, while, in reality, that help is not accessible by a large portion of the homeless.

Can you give some examples of why the "homeless" are excluded from such services. What specifically is this bureaucracy you speak of which restricts them so much?

Can you give some examples of why the "homeless" are excluded from such services. What specifically is this bureaucracy you speak of which restricts them so much?

I didn't say 'excluded', I said many of the homeless can't access them.

If you don't understand how some people, especially the vulnerable, disabled, autistic, homeless, mentally ill etc, can't access services due to bureaucracy, then I don't think anything I say will facilitate your understanding.

I didn't say 'excluded', I said many of the homeless can't access them.

If you don't understand how some people, especially the vulnerable, disabled, autistic, homeless, mentally ill etc, can't access services due to bureaucracy, then I don't think anything I say will facilitate your understanding.

Why not explain?

Not everybody does understand their needs.

How should services be directed to support those with these limitations?

(if the bureaucracy is what prevents access, then it is "exclusion")

Not everybody does understand their needs.

I know

(if the bureaucracy is what prevents access, then it is "exclusion")

I was just pointing out that I did not use the term. It has several meanings, and, to some people carries an implication that it's barrier aspects are intentional. Often the barriers characteristic of bureaucracy are not intentional.

How should services be directed to support those with these limitations?

Don't require that people with a real aversion to bureaucratic hoops and convoluted paperwork have to engage with bureaucratic hoops and convoluted paperwork to access services they desperately need. Instead, ensure the services have a human approach.

That way people who currently can't access them, will be able to access them.

However, in the main, that will not happen, because, when it comes to the choice of which services will continue to be funded in these times of 'austerity', those which slow down the flow of support/money from the state to the vulnerable, will be prioritized over those which efficiently manage the flow of support/money from the state to the vulnerable.

And few things are better than excess bureaucracy for slowing down such flows, and, for maximizing the number of the vulnerable/disabled/autistic who give up in despair.

Thank you.

I may be wrong, but I believe that there are some supporters out there that help individuals through these barriers. I'm not sure if they are charity based or council based.

Yes, there are advocates and advocacy organisations. They have been heavily cut by austerity measures.

Additionally, accessing them also often requires jumping through bureaucratic hoops and convoluted paperwork. I know many autistic adults who require advocacy to access social support services, who are unable to bypass the bureaucratic barriers to apply for that advocacy.

Yes, there are advocates and advocacy organisations. They have been heavily cut by austerity measures.

Additionally, accessing them also often requires jumping through bureaucratic hoops and convoluted paperwork. I know many autistic adults who require advocacy to access social support services, who are unable to bypass the bureaucratic barriers to apply for that advocacy.

Are you able to help them get the support they need? I've advocated for an elderly relative who'd become quite vulnerable and was unable to do it for himself. He already had a 'Care Manager' who didn't really seem to care. I got him the support he needed eventually, but I understand how hard it is when individuals lack the know how or the ability to speak for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed lots of beggars in Zombie like positions in Sheffield city centre. They say this is caused by the drug Spice. They freeze into one position and never move. This is getting worse and there seems to be more of them each time I go into town. They say Spice is cheap and easy to buy but what is going to eventually happen to these addicts if people keep giving them the money to buy this drug ?

I've noticed lots of beggars in Zombie like positions in Sheffield city centre. They say this is caused by the drug Spice. They freeze into one position and never move. This is getting worse and there seems to be more of them each time I go into town. They say Spice is cheap and easy to buy but what is going to eventually happen to these addicts if people keep giving them the money to buy this drug ?

Good question! I noticed on my last visit, a few weeks ago, to Sheffield that there was more beggars on the streets. I thought Newcastle was worse than Sheffield for beggars but I'm not sure anymore.

I don't know what the answer is but I am curious how much money these people make to support their addiction.

I thought government was making it an offence to beg on the streets, I'm sure the authorities have relaxed the law on begging or they do not have the time.

Good question! I noticed on my last visit, a few weeks ago, to Sheffield that there was more beggars on the streets. I thought Newcastle was worse than Sheffield for beggars but I'm not sure anymore.

I don't know what the answer is but I am curious how much money these people make to support their addiction.

I thought government was making it an offence to beg on the streets, I'm sure the authorities have relaxed the law on begging or they do not have the time.

If they don't relax on it, it only cost them more money.

You are probably right, but I'm just curious where you have gotten inside info to come to the statement "I'm sure"

Edited by dutch