Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Being asked 15 times between train station and City Hall is my personal record...can anyone beat that?

I've started saving them their breath:

"Excuuuuse me....I'm just..." "

"No"

Although sometimes I do point out all the others on the street I've already been asked by, in the hope the message might get across that there are so many now.

You must look like a target or something, my average is <1 times between cathedral and the train station. And despite walking about town at lunch quite a bit today, 0 is the number of times I was asked for anything.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 20:20 ----------

There is no need for anyone to beg this day and age and no need for food banks. Get down the Social if your skint or better still get a JOB. :rant:

No need for food banks, there speaks privilege, ignorance and arrogance.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 20:22 ----------

Did that once..got it thrown back at me...never again...

I've bought sandwiches, meal deals, coffees, I gave a guy a pastry of some kind (I'd bought two). I've never had it refused.

Admittedly I do this when it's the middle of the winter, freezing cold and often late in the evening, so perhaps the difference is that these people are really homeless, the 'fair weather' beggars have long since departed by then.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 20:24 ----------

Why pay for it with 6m of our hard earned cash? Just stop their benefits and make it illegal to give money to them. If they want help the support services are there, if they dont... Well...

An astounding lack of empathy.

And of course "if they don't... Well..." they will commit crime to stay alive. They won't die quietly somewhere out of your view where you don't have to think about them.

You must look like a target or something, my average is <1 times between cathedral and the train station. And despite walking about town at lunch quite a bit today, 0 is the number of times I was asked for anything.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 20:20 ----------

No need for food banks, there speaks privilege, ignorance and arrogance.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 20:22 ----------

I've bought sandwiches, meal deals, coffees, I gave a guy a pastry of some kind (I'd bought two). I've never had it refused.

Admittedly I do this when it's the middle of the winter, freezing cold and often late in the evening, so perhaps the difference is that these people are really homeless, the 'fair weather' beggars have long since departed by then.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 20:24 ----------

An astounding lack of empathy.

And of course "if they don't... Well..." they will commit crime to stay alive. They won't die quietly somewhere out of your view where you don't have to think about them.

Lack of empathy. Its not lack of empathy just frustration that these people are refusing to engage with the system and spend money on drugs and drink. You say you have been stopped by one or two. Well walk down the city centre and open your eyes you will see countless of them begging. If they are not begging they are in a catatonic zombie like state. If you really want to witness this walk past the Cathedral or if you want to see the drunk problem walk past B&M near Wilkos or Tescos near Devonshire Green.

Even Anthony Cunningham(tent city guy) who seems to be working hard in this regard has had three breakfast clubs closed because the venue cannot cope with the abuse and problems it gets because of it.

Like I have said previously if people want to give then give food drink clothing even maybe a tent. Sign post them to services. If they refuse then they really don't want help they just want the money for drugs and drink. Not giving money will cut off their income stream meaning they will have to engage with services and maybe even sort their life out.

Yeah I'm a little disappointed by the statements by some people on here regarding my empathy, but in a way they are right. I've always had a dislike for the louts in town but now it's got to crisis point, we're literally overrun by street drinkers, beggars who look like they've hard a hard life on drugs and spice zombies. I spend all of my working week in town and it's just getting embarrassing, you literally have to run a gauntlet through every street with beggars on every street corner, and these people aren't poor they're drunk/high ALL OF THE TIME.

Trying to help hasn't worked. Throwing more money at the problem won't work. We need some harsher tactics, not vigilantes or that, but something that's going to make these people stop what they're doing. Free accomodation, food and 'councelling' from the do-gooders has failed. Let's get them out of town, move them on. These people will take the sugar out of your tea then spit it back in your face, don't feel sorry for them.

Yeah I'm a little disappointed by the statements by some people on here regarding my empathy, but in a way they are right. I've always had a dislike for the louts in town but now it's got to crisis point, we're literally overrun by street drinkers, beggars who look like they've hard a hard life on drugs and spice zombies. I spend all of my working week in town and it's just getting embarrassing, you literally have to run a gauntlet through every street with beggars on every street corner, and these people aren't poor they're drunk/high ALL OF THE TIME.

Trying to help hasn't worked. Throwing more money at the problem won't work. We need some harsher tactics, not vigilantes or that, but something that's going to make these people stop what they're doing. Free accomodation, food and 'councelling' from the do-gooders has failed. Let's get them out of town, move them on. These people will take the sugar out of your tea then spit it back in your face, don't feel sorry for them.

I sympathise with everything you have said. However I dont really think we need to be that harsh to be honest. The issue is they beg to fuel an addiction and therefore do not seek help through the services available. The solution is simple cut off the income stream. If everyone stopped giving money to people who beg (again if people felt the need give resources instead food, clothing etc) combined with stronger local enforcement to prevent stealing then survival instinct would kick in and you know what they would suddenly engage with services as thats the only way they would survive. Thereby reducing the problem.

Everyone who gives to beggars potentially is enabling their addiction. You wouldnt do this to your relative who had an addiction so why to these people. Actually thats not harsh thats compassion.

I spend all of my working week in town too but think you are completely exaggerating.

We are certainly not "literally overun" as you describe. There is no "gauntlet" to be run unless someone is so weak and feeble in character that they cannot bypass those who may approach them.

There are thousands and thousands of people in that city every day. People living there, working there, studying there, visiting there, shopping there. The car parks are rammed. The streets are full. The hotels are occupied. The offices are active.

Overrun with street beggars?? My bony backside we are.

YES we have a problem. YES there are SOME beggars and street drinkers but there are in EVERY city all over the world. Sheffield is certainly not unique in that problem and the numbers are at worst the same as other cities, but personally I feel are actually far far less.

In my opinion Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham have significantly higher numbers.

What is wrong with us these days? When did we become these prissy and uptight individuals that the sight of a (so called) beggar or drunked on a public street in a large city is interpreted as some sort of major crisis which city is doomed to failure.

Jesus christ, its a circumstances that has been in existance in every city all over the world since year dot.

Beggars and Street drinkers were just as prevelant when the city was in its so called rose tinted prime time of the 60s-80s. Maybe people back then just got over it.

The irritiating thing about public streets is that they are used by the public. Yes, the council, homeless services, charities and 100 other organisations can try and do get them off the streets but that will not stop some people returning time and time again.

I would at least agree with you that a tougher stance needs to be taken but there is no magic wand for this situation. We need to stop banging on about this issue, making up nonsense about how the city is filled to the brim with dregs of society and having hysterical people describing it as some dangerous and unpleasant no go zone. - it just isnt.

Have we become so ingrained with our totally sanitised privately owned enclosed and controlled shopping precincts that its really turned us this way.

Have we become so zombified walking around the the muzak filled marble clad neon lit bubbles that we forget that public streets are just that. Open and accessible to any member of the public - even sometimes those less desirable ones.

"no thank you".... keep walking. "not interested"....keep walking. "no change".... keep walking.

Served me perfectly well for years and never had to face any "gauntlet" you purport.

We really do need to toughen up.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I spend all of my working week in town too but think you are completely exaggerating.

We are certainly not "literally overun" as you describe. There is no "gauntlet" to be run unless someone is so weak and feeble in character that they cannot bypass those who may approach them.

There are thousands and thousands of people in that city every day. People living there, working there, studying there, visiting there, shopping there. The car parks are rammed. The streets are full. The hotels are occupied. The offices are active.

Overrun with street beggars?? My bony backside we are.

YES we have a problem. YES there are SOME beggars and street drinkers but there are in EVERY city all over the world. Sheffield is certainly not unique in that problem and the numbers are at worst the same as other cities, but personally I feel are actually far far less.

In my opinion Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham have significantly higher numbers.

What is wrong with us these days? When did we become these prissy and uptight individuals that the sight of a (so called) beggar or drunked on a public street in a large city is interpreted as some sort of major crisis which city is doomed to failure.

Jesus christ, its a circumstances that has been in existance in every city all over the world since year dot.

Beggars and Street drinkers were just as prevelant when the city was in its so called rose tinted prime time of the 60s-80s. Maybe people back then just got over it.

The irritiating thing about public streets is that they are used by the public. Yes, the council, homeless services, charities and 100 other organisations can try and do get them off the streets but that will not stop some people returning time and time again.

I would at least agree with you that a tougher stance needs to be taken but there is no magic wand for this situation. We need to stop banging on about this issue, making up nonsense about how the city is filled to the brim with dregs of society and having hysterical people describing it as some dangerous and unpleasant no go zone. - it just isnt.

Have we become so ingrained with our totally sanitised privately owned enclosed and controlled shopping precincts that its really turned us this way.

Have we become so zombified walking around the the muzak filled marble clad neon lit bubbles that we forget that public streets are just that. Open and accessible to any member of the public - even sometimes those less desirable ones.

"no thank you".... keep walking. "not interested"....keep walking. "no change".... keep walking.

Served me perfectly well for years and never had to face any "gauntlet" you purport.

We really do need to toughen up.

My Bold

In the sixties the town was my playground and i cannot recollect ANY beggars like we have now in the town, infact i cannot remember one beggar in town in the sixties, ok we had such as Nora but she was not a beggar,

the onley one that came any where near what is in town now as for being annoyingly persistent was, the bloke selling almanacs near pond street

Lack of empathy. Its not lack of empathy just frustration that these people are refusing to engage with the system and spend money on drugs and drink. You say you have been stopped by one or two. Well walk down the city centre and open your eyes you will see countless of them begging. If they are not begging they are in a catatonic zombie like state. If you really want to witness this walk past the Cathedral or if you want to see the drunk problem walk past B&M near Wilkos or Tescos near Devonshire Green.

I walk around town regularly, lunch times, Fri/Sat evenings, really quite often, and I don't do it with my eyes closed.

I find it likely that Paula is exaggerating the number of times she is asked for something.

If you want to exercise your empathy, maybe investigate the reason that these people self medicate with drink and drugs and don't engage with the system. There are plenty of sociology papers about it, and first hand accounts.

---------- Post added 14-07-2018 at 12:07 ----------

Yep, still massively lacking empathy as to WHY these people behave like this.

As if "moving them on" will magically solve the problem. They'll come back.

Perhaps you'd like to install ground spikes so they have nowhere to sleep as well, maybe they can be forcibly interred somewhere...

---------- Post added 14-07-2018 at 12:08 ----------

You wouldnt do this to your relative who had an addiction so why to these people. Actually thats not harsh thats compassion.

You might investigate why their life is so bad that they need to numb themselves with drink and drugs just to get through it...

---------- Post added 14-07-2018 at 12:10 ----------

My Bold

In the sixties the town was my playground and i cannot recollect ANY beggars like we have now in the town, infact i cannot remember one beggar in town in the sixties, ok we had such as Nora but she was not a beggar,

the onley one that came any where near what is in town now as for being annoyingly persistent was, the bloke selling almanacs near pond street

Homelessness has increased hugely since "austerity" began a decade ago.