Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I never give beggars or drinkers any money and never will, I've no sympathy for them at all. It seems we now have women begging in fact only yesterday I saw an Asian woman begging in the decent part of Nether Edge, there was an Asian man close by watching her. Young white girls are now begging around High Street and Fargate. The council should get the City Ambassadors to deal with them in between the time they spend just talking in the Winter Gardens and the Moor Market, these people could talk for England.

I never give beggars or drinkers any money and never will, I've no sympathy for them at all. It seems we now have women begging in fact only yesterday I saw an Asian woman begging in the decent part of Nether Edge, there was an Asian man close by watching her. Young white girls are now begging around High Street and Fargate. The council should get the City Ambassadors to deal with them in between the time they spend just talking in the Winter Gardens and the Moor Market, these people could talk for England.

I agree with you. I have been verbally abused after refusing to give money to beggars.

How can you have "no sympathy" for the genuine homeless?

They probably think (myself included) that there is no need to be homeless, there is help out there.. however some prefer to remain homeless and won"t seek help..

No.

I don't think you understand homelessness at all - they may be "choosing" between being exploited / bullied / robbed / raped by other users in a hostel and taking their chance on the streets.

Some choice.

---------- Post added 21-07-2018 at 01:59 ----------

Back in the late 80's early 90's "Care in the Community" was a bus ticket from Middlewood to town.

Various charities and Housing Associations eg Mencap, MIND, Sheffield Hostels, SYHA, Arches etc etc tried their best. There was absolutely no funding available beyond some dedicated people in "board and lodge" stretching housing benefit regs to their absolute limit - this, along with Hostel Deficit Grant to Housing Associations provided a hotch potch of support - and it happened nationally (this eventually led to the national Supporting People Grant in 2003 - since slashed)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supporting_People

We are now seeing the results of these cuts all around us. It's a disgrace. And more to the point, pitiable for the poor people directly involved.

I briefly worked at Middlewood Hospital back in the 70's and saw first hand the degree of need. There was no way those people could survive without immense amounts of one to one support.

We are now seeing the results of these cuts all around us. It's a disgrace. And more to the point, pitiable for the poor people directly involved.

I briefly worked at Middlewood Hospital back in the 70's and saw first hand the degree of need. There was no way those people could survive without immense amounts of one to one support.

My Bold

For these people they still get the support

Who are you kidding?

If that were true, we wouldn't have so many struggling to survive, or on the street.

For mentally ill patients who need 1+1 (intensive care) they still get it

Anna B, where do you get your information from?

having thought abit more about your comments, i do not know any what delivers a 1+1 care program in the mental health, or ever did.

Edited by kidley

No.

I don't think you understand homelessness at all - they may be "choosing" between being exploited / bullied / robbed / raped by other users in a hostel and taking their chance on the streets.

Some choice.

---------- Post added 21-07-2018 at 01:59 ----------

Back in the late 80's early 90's "Care in the Community" was a bus ticket from Middlewood to town.

Various charities and Housing Associations eg Mencap, MIND, Sheffield Hostels, SYHA, Arches etc etc tried their best. There was absolutely no funding available beyond some dedicated people in "board and lodge" stretching housing benefit regs to their absolute limit - this, along with Hostel Deficit Grant to Housing Associations provided a hotch potch of support - and it happened nationally (this eventually led to the national Supporting People Grant in 2003 - since slashed)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supporting_People

I think I understand homelessness very well thanks - I worked for many years in the sector, and still have constant contact with it. I know exactly what goes on- and often, for confidentiality reasons, do not share on here some of the more extreme things that are occurring.

Who are you kidding?

If that were true, we wouldn't have so many struggling to survive, or on the street.

Have you totally ignored other posters on this thread.

Firstly there are not "so many" struggling to survive and on the streets. There are a few genuine people who quite rightly deserve help

As others have pointed out for the remainder of them, they do not have ANY reason to be there. They are fake. They are scammers. They are there due to their own self-inflicted reasons and need to take responsibility for themselves.

SOME choose to be there begging because they make good money out of it.

SOME choose to ignore the mutliple services available to them.

SOME choose not to live in accommodations offered to them because they have to follow rules and regulations to drinking, drugs, smoking, pets and refuse. SOME choose not to engage with the very people trying to help them.

Secondly, just because YOU say there is no help available doesn't mean its fact. The most vulnerable and those genuinely in priority need DO get care. Services exist all over the city and there are entire NHS hospital units dedicated to it.

However, there is not an infinite supply of money and many people need to get pushed into taking responsibility for themselves instead of sitting back and expecting the state to provide a life for them.

You casually state earlier that your former service users allegedly needed an "immense amount of one to one support"

Well reality the check is - that costs an immense amount of money to provide and despite what you percieve not all service users should be offered the higher levels of one-to-one support when they have the ability to survive perfectly well by other means.

Funding is not infinite and the needs and demands on the NHS have never stopped increasing from day one. Something has to give.

For far too long people have taken it for granted including those who routinely fail to take responsibility for themselves and expect the state to sort them out. Enough is enough.

The range of conditions and severity which is conveniently lumped under the title "mental health" is huge.

Once too often it is totted out as some excuse for a person's behaviour almost absolving them of having to take control of thier own actions and face the consequences.

You talk about the good old days of care and support but lets not forget it wasnt that long ago that people with such mild conditions like post-natal depression, shock or anorexia were locked up in psychiatric hospital wards and given experimental treatments and drugs. Is that the sort of one to one care intensive belts and braces mental health treatment we should be going back to??

People need to stop taking everything at face value.