Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

On 14/08/2023 at 23:27, nikki-red said:

Does that include what you tell us?

I work on a gastro and hepatology ward. We have a high percentage of drinkers/homeless/semi-homeless patients.

It’d be really easy to be judgemental but until you know their stories it’s much more decent and human not to be.

’There but for the Grace of God go I’ springs to mind on a regular basis.

This is why the beg 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/21/fake-rough-sleeper-who-earns-up-to-600-a-day-says-begging-brings-in-more-than-

working-8975704/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/beggars-make-200-a-day-in-britain-s-happiest-town-6pd30slkx

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/fake-homeless-beggars-claims-he-can-make-ps60-an-half-hour-in-central-london-a-new-documentary-reveals-a4098001.html

and I could go on and on 

13 minutes ago, kidley said:

there are plenty of homeless ex servicemen, take my word for that , they don't get automatically housed when the come out.

Put a number on it. And then ignore the ones who actually have accommodation, and have refused all help offered.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

I read an article recently that says beggars are one of the main reasons less people are visiting Sheffield. There has always been the odd un-savoury character, right from when I was a child but I have never seen as many in the city centre as I have over the past year or so. It seems to be every corner you turn in the city centre, there is a bunch of them. I can envisage sooner, rather than later people will start to get fed up of being asked for money from these dossers. It's not a good look at all for the city. There used to be "City Centre Ambassadors", basically men in red coats with a high visibility vest that would patrol the streets of the city centre and keep these rodents, ooops I mean "street people" under control. I haven't seen one of them for years.

I saw a city centre ambassador a few weeks ago when I was in town I'm sure.

I have heard that ambassadors in some other city centres are more assertive with people who aggressively beg, or cause a serious nuisance for others for example. Having said that, what they can and cannot do will be defined by their job descriptions and their managers. If they are not given the money or authority to 'move people on', then they won't, and I don't blame them to be honest. 

It isn't a good look for the city centre I agree, and on the High Street there seems to be increasingly more and more people laying in doorways. This will be replicated across city centres across the UK. I'm sure that the people who do lay in doorways would much rather be in doors like in a day centre, however these will have been closed due to cut backs.

Edited by Mister M

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

I saw a city centre ambassador a few weeks ago when I was in town I'm sure.

I have heard that ambassadors in some other city centres are more assertive with people who aggressively beg, or cause a serious nuisance for others for example. Having said that, what they can and cannot do will be defined by their job descriptions and their managers. If they are not given the money or authority to 'move people on', then they won't, and I don't blame them to be honest. 

It isn't a good look for the city centre I agree, and on the High Street there seems to be increasingly more and more people laying in doorways. This will be replicated across city centres across the UK. I'm sure that the people who do lay in doorways would much rather be in doors like in a day centre, however these will have been closed due to cut backs.

Most of them will have homes to go to . If not there’s  the Archer Project during the day 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2