Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I’d like to see a concerted funded project in each major city, ours included, to help homeless people in need. Whereby if they turn up and register they are looked after and helped to get on.

and I don’t mean a church charity - I mean a proper operation where there’s somewhere safe to sleep, get fed and have a shower. And an address they can register so they’re not of no fixed abode.

that way - if you go your local shop and there’s someone sat outside begging - you know they have an alternative option and chose otherwise.

6 hours ago, Mkapaka said:

I’d like to see a concerted funded project in each major city, ours included, to help homeless people in need. Whereby if they turn up and register they are looked after and helped to get on.

and I don’t mean a church charity - I mean a proper operation where there’s somewhere safe to sleep, get fed and have a shower. And an address they can register so they’re not of no fixed abode.

that way - if you go your local shop and there’s someone sat outside begging - you know they have an alternative option and chose otherwise.

But you can tell people until you are blue in the face that the vast majority of people on the street aren't actually homeless, people will still give them cash. 

• Like 1

I went into Sheffield City Centre yesterday and it wasn't to bad regarding the homeless.

Shelter, the housing charity says there are 130,000 homeless children in Britain, I never saw one!

I did see however a rather frightening looking Scottish man prowling Fargate with two angry dogs begging for money, I told him to eat the dogs.

I don't want to belittle homelessness, I understand that it must be very scary to find yourself with no friends, no family and nowhere to stay...I think often about how terrible that moment must be when you realise, for the first time, that you really have no bed that night, it sends a shudder down my spine.

Think about it, slipping into a pair of cardboard pyjamas and being serenaded to sleep by a passing bin lorry, and knowing that the price you pay for a mug of soup is a half-hour lecture on God's infinite wisdom.

In fact, it's because I care so much about homeless people that I have some advice for anyone whose life has gone so far down the crapper that he's only reading a newspaper because he's sleeping in it.

And here it is,

Move out of Sheffield and into the countryside.

If you hole up for the night in a shop doorway in Sheffield, it's odds on that those street cleaner men will come along and squirt you with powerful jets of icy water.

And then, your all soggy and cold, you'll be moved on to another doorway where a drunken late night reveller will be sick over you. Then your dog will be stolen by a Romanian woman in a shawl, and then someone will make you take so much Heroin that you technically become an Afghan.

And that's after you've spent all day scouring the city streets for out-of-date sandwiches.

In the countryside things are a lot more cheery, for a kick-off the chances of being turned into a rent boy are smaller, there is also less Heroin, and if you sleep in a field the chances of a late-night reveller being sick all over you are very slim indeed.

What's more, there's plenty of food to eat in the hedgerows, Blackberries, Elderberries, and summat that looks like a Tomato, but it isn't, In fact if you do decide to move to the countryside, avoid any small red plant that grows in hedgerows and looks like a Tomato because it's disgusting: instead, try truffling in the fields.

If you can find a barn that hasn't yet been converted into an agreeable home by someone called Nigel, you will find several thousand potatoes, carrots, and marrows. You'll also find some nearby cows that could easily be killed and eaten.

Then there's the question of clothing, you don't have to steal the right kind of Nike Trainer, because in the Countryside there is no one looking, and you can keep nice and warm in a fertiliser bag, which can be held together with baler twine.

And when the sun sinks you don't have to hole up under a railway bridge, there are countless stables full of straw.

Not only would living rough in the countryside be infinitely better than living rough in Sheffield, but I'd go as far as to suggest it might even be fun.

Not as much fun as, say, being the King, but certainly not bad. You could make traps and watch the birds and make dens and it would be like being nine.

I'm rather surprised, then, that the countryside isn't awash with tramps and beggars, And yet I've never seen one?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Padders said:

I went into Sheffield City Centre yesterday and it wasn't to bad regarding the homeless.

Shelter, the housing charity says there are 130,000 homeless children in Britain, I never saw one!

I did see however a rather frightening looking Scottish man prowling Fargate with two angry dogs begging for money, I told him to eat the dogs.

I don't want to belittle homelessness, I understand that it must be very scary to find yourself with no friends, no family and nowhere to stay...I think often about how terrible that moment must be when you realise, for the first time, that you really have no bed that night, it sends a shudder down my spine.

Think about it, slipping into a pair of cardboard pyjamas and being serenaded to sleep by a passing bin lorry, and knowing that the price you pay for a mug of soup is a half-hour lecture on God's infinite wisdom.

In fact, it's because I care so much about homeless people that I have some advice for anyone whose life has gone so far down the crapper that he's only reading a newspaper because he's sleeping in it.

And here it is,

Move out of Sheffield and into the countryside.

If you hole up for the night in a shop doorway in Sheffield, it's odds on that those street cleaner men will come along and squirt you with powerful jets of icy water.

And then, your all soggy and cold, you'll be moved on to another doorway where a drunken late night reveller will be sick over you. Then your dog will be stolen by a Romanian woman in a shawl, and then someone will make you take so much Heroin that you technically become an Afghan.

And that's after you've spent all day scouring the city streets for out-of-date sandwiches.

In the countryside things are a lot more cheery, for a kick-off the chances of being turned into a rent boy are smaller, there is also less Heroin, and if you sleep in a field the chances of a late-night reveller being sick all over you are very slim indeed.

What's more, there's plenty of food to eat in the hedgerows, Blackberries, Elderberries, and summat that looks like a Tomato, but it isn't, In fact if you do decide to move to the countryside, avoid any small red plant that grows in hedgerows and looks like a Tomato because it's disgusting: instead, try truffling in the fields.

If you can find a barn that hasn't yet been converted into an agreeable home by someone called Nigel, you will find several thousand potatoes, carrots, and marrows. You'll also find some nearby cows that could easily be killed and eaten.

Then there's the question of clothing, you don't have to steal the right kind of Nike Trainer, because in the Countryside there is no one looking, and you can keep nice and warm in a fertiliser bag, which can be held together with baler twine.

And when the sun sinks you don't have to hole up under a railway bridge, there are countless stables full of straw.

Not only would living rough in the countryside be infinitely better than living rough in Sheffield, but I'd go as far as to suggest it might even be fun.

Not as much fun as, say, being the King, but certainly not bad. You could make traps and watch the birds and make dens and it would be like being nine.

I'm rather surprised, then, that the countryside isn't awash with tramps and beggars, And yet I've never seen one?

:thumbsup: . I’ve often thought the same Padders . If a sudden turn of fate made me lose my family and home , I would head into one of the vast woods/forests round here and live  a Grizzly Adams type existence . 

• Like 1

Some people who beg aren't all mentally ill,  they weren't into being educated when at school,  they had no foresight so they find it difficult to find a job,  I have also read about blokes who have had to give their wives the  family home,  also war veterans who have not been supported enough and found themselves on the streets,  as we don't know their background it's better not to insult them.

Edited by cressida
This is in reply to Padders as Hackey knows why I avoid him if I can.

Being homeless dosent mean they have nowhere to sleep 

The definition of those who are experiencing homelessness includes: An individual or family who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence, such as those living in emergency shelters, transitional housing, or places not meant for habitation, or

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing it's the closure of Wilko's down in the Haymarket area & not being able to thieve from that store, that's brought about a relocation of all the beggars / street drinkers etc. 

They now seem to be congregating under cover at the bottom of High St., between Aldi & Poundland, (their stocks are going to take a hit!).  There must have been around 20 to 25 of them down there this morning, bawling & shouting; threatening each other. 

At least if they're all in one spot, it wouldn't take much effort with a big net. 

• Like 2