Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

2 minutes ago, Resident said:

I fear now though, since the Forum will now store and host the images that the costs will rise to a point that's no longer tenable to keep it running

Indeed. Should have stuck to the old way.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Indeed. Should have stuck to the old way.

Come on Lord.

Why should posting of pictures have been a secret of the few.

Like them, something to share, post it.

Don't like them, don' t,  easy choice really .

Keep safe embrace the change :thumbsup:.

1 minute ago, Rockers rule said:

Come on Lord.

Its not really a secret was it, there was a insert image button, just find the link from elsewhere and paste it in, it wasnt tricky.

@Resident has raised a decent point. People posting images equals storage space costs.

Edited by HeHasRisen

36 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Its not really a secret was it, there was a insert image button, just find the link from elsewhere and paste it in, it wasnt tricky.

@Resident has raised a decent point. People posting images equals storage space costs.

There is answer to that - only post if really required, and keep them to the minimum sensible size - some of those on the 'best car' and 'ugliest ship' topics were ridiculously  big.

38 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

There is answer to that - only post if really required, and keep them to the minimum sensible size - some of those on the 'best car' and 'ugliest ship' topics were ridiculously  big.

Yes, but none of those were hosted on here I assume? Some people will take the mick though.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes, but none of those were hosted on here I assume? Some people will take the mick though.

They weren't, true, but my comment still stands - they really didn't need to be that big.

29 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Aye. A much bigger issue when the forum is paying to host them though.

I never considered that. However as none of the changes are permanent yet that might be a decision that gets reversed if costs go up? 

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Come on Lord.

Embrace the change? The feature used to exist and then Geoff (presumably) removed it because it was adding too much to the costs. 

When you rent a server (commonly known as hosting) you pay for 2 parts. Bandwidth and Storage space. Some hosts will offer "unlimited" storage but 99% of the time there are fair usage policies involved. 

Sometimes you can actually rent a whole server which comes with massive amounts of both. I know because I used to rent 2 and host websites (community forums like this) as a 'side hustle' back in the early 2000s

As for it being a secret. Well all one has to do is use a search engine such as Google with the term "how to insert an image in a forum" and there are 10s of thousands of idiot-proof guides.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Resident said:

Embrace the change? The feature used to exist and then Geoff (presumably) removed it because it was adding too much to the costs. 

When you rent a server (commonly known as hosting) you pay for 2 parts. Bandwidth and Storage space. Some hosts will offer "unlimited" storage but 99% of the time there are fair usage policies involved. 

Sometimes you can actually rent a whole server which comes with massive amounts of both. I know because I used to rent 2 and host websites (community forums like this) as a 'side hustle' back in the early 2000s

As for it being a secret. Well all one has to do is use a search engine such as Google with the term "how to insert an image in a forum" and there are 10s of thousands of idiot-proof guides.

Or, use the button that was provided, in plain sight.