Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Gateshead and Newcastle is just as bad as Sheffield when it comes to beggars, druggies and drunks but I have noticed over the last few months that the police are moving them from the centre of Newcastle and parts of Gateshead where they congregate. Invariably as one policeman said they just keep coming back when they have gone.  I don’t think there is as many on the streets because the police are moving them and there seems to be more police patrolling the area but you still get days when you see loud mouth drunks shouting and threatening each other, just have to hope the police pick them up on camera and pop out in their cars to shift them.

I wonder who will get fed up first the police or the beggars? 

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Gateshead and Newcastle is just as bad as Sheffield when it comes to beggars, druggies and drunks but I have noticed over the last few months that the police are moving them from the centre of Newcastle and parts of Gateshead where they congregate. Invariably as one policeman said they just keep coming back when they have gone.  I don’t think there is as many on the streets because the police are moving them and there seems to be more police patrolling the area but you still get days when you see loud mouth drunks shouting and threatening each other, just have to hope the police pick them up on camera and pop out in their cars to shift them.

Police !

18 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Why dont they just stop and search them under pace. We all know they have drugs on them.  We see the huge spice problem and we see them dealing in plain sight outside the Bankers Draft and the old Halifax bank thats now empty. It was that bad one Sunday there was about 10 of them and the bloke on the bike (dealer)   If they keep stopping and searching they will soon give up when their drugs keep getting taken off them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, woodmally1979 said:

Why dont they just stop and search them under pace. We all know they have drugs on them.  We see the huge spice problem and we see them dealing in plain sight outside the Bankers Draft and the old Halifax bank thats now empty. It was that bad one Sunday there was about 10 of them and the bloke on the bike (dealer)   If they keep stopping and searching they will soon give up when their drugs keep getting taken off them.

I have seen plain clothes scruffy looking police officers on a few occasions putting hand cuffs on someone, and I suspect it’s because they are trying to sell drugs in the centre of Newcastle.  The Northumbrian Police are now visible on the streets in Gateshead and Newcastle at certain times of the day and it has made a difference particularly in Gateshead, which is just the other side of the River Tyne from Newcastle, this only started at the beginning of summer tho.

The people the police are moving on are sat on seats in Gateshead with large bottles of cider, whisky and cans of beer so I’m not sure if they can be arrested and searched for that. I was told the police do have powers to remove alcohol from them. There is less anti social behaviour at the moment, I’m not sure if this is down to the council or if the police have been given new powers. I just hope the police and street enforcement officers keep it up.

Isn’t it up to each council to put street enforcement officers patrolling the city centre? I know Sheffield use to have them not sure tho if they still do.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

I have seen plain clothes scruffy looking police officers on a few occasions putting hand cuffs on someone, and I suspect it’s because they are trying to sell drugs in the centre of Newcastle.  The Northumbrian Police are now visible on the streets in Gateshead and Newcastle at certain times of the day and it has made a difference particularly in Gateshead, which is just the other side of the River Tyne from Newcastle, this only started at the beginning of summer tho.

The people the police are moving on are sat on seats in Gateshead with large bottles of cider, whisky and cans of beer so I’m not sure if they can be arrested and searched for that. I was told the police do have powers to remove alcohol from them. There is less anti social behaviour at the moment, I’m not sure if this is down to the council or if the police have been given new powers. I just hope the police and street enforcement officers keep it up.

Isn’t it up to each council to put street enforcement officers patrolling the city centre? I know Sheffield use to have them not sure tho if they still do.  

Presumably, they are enforcing a Public Spaces Protection Order? Sheffield City Council has recently consulted on one for Sheffield, we're just waiting for it to pass full council and come into power as I understand it.

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Presumably, they are enforcing a Public Spaces Protection Order? Sheffield City Council has recently consulted on one for Sheffield, we're just waiting for it to pass full council and come into power as I understand it.

Still??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheffieldForum said:

How recently  ? 

On 04/10/2024 at 16:30, GoldenAleLad said:

Ordinary people are scared to go in the new Leah Yard and Cambridge Food collective because of them and they are quite intimidating !

I have been going to or walking past/through both CSC and Leah's Yard very regularly in the weeks since they opened, mid-week and weekends, and I honestly haven't yet seen a single beggar anywhere near them, or the adjacent Cambridge Street/Wellington Street areas. 

There's usually a couple of beggars/homeless around Sainsburys/Lloyds on Division Street, that's it.

And neither CSC or Leah's Yard appear to have been struggling for footfall so far that I have noticed?