Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

No there wouldn’t. When officers are due to retire they plan recruiting their replacements. If the didn’t retire then they wouldn’t have to recruit replacements so there wouldn’t be more cops.

And there’s a reason why they retire when they do. Just as soldiers retire early. Do you really want a 65yr old cop to have to be fighting off a violent man? Would you want to see 65yr old soldiers being sent to war?

If your going to rant over people having better pension entitlements than you than look no further than MP’s pensions. Or don’t rant at all and take one of the jobs with the better pensions.

I don't rant any more than you. I agree about MPs, but they set the retirement age for everyone, except a chosen few, it would appear.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 18:07 ----------

How about instead of trying to move your goalposts you address the 1st class travel and the reduction in numbers of 22,000 officers.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 16:45 ----------

Do you have "gullible" tattoo'd on your body somewhere?

Not moving any goal posts but doing away with commisioners and addressing the 1st class travel would be a start.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 18:09 ----------

How about instead of trying to move your goalposts you address the 1st class travel and the reduction in numbers of 22,000 officers.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 16:45 ----------

Do you have "gullible" tattoo'd on your body somewhere?

You must be extremelly gullible if you see raising taxes a first choice.

Edited by spilldig

Not moving any goal posts but doing away with commisioners and addressing the 1st class travel would be a start.

Getting rid of commissioners I agree, they are just a way for politicians to influence policing, but policing should be impartial of politics.

But whats all this talk of 1st class travel? Are you referring to cops travelling by air/train when on duty, or for their own recreational holidays?

I seriously doubt that they get 1st class travel. But I do know that if someone has to fly as part of the FCO (Foreign Commonwealth Office) then the FCO book business class flights, but only if they are available for that flight. I have experience of doing this, but then for the job I had to do when I got there then not even 1st class travel would make me do it again. But for that period of time you are effectively employed by the FCO. But I seriously doubt that cops get this kind of travel.

Please tell us more.

Edited by WarPig

You cant just ban someone from the city just because you don't like them being there. You would ideally need members of the public to be witnesses to them committing anti social behaviour, or repeated begging. But even then, that only moves the problem on somewhere else. And if other towns did the same then we would inherit their beggars. So it wouldn't solve the problem, it would just be a constant rotation of different beggars from different areas. Even if they were later arrested for breaching an order from the court preventing them from entering the city centre, theres not much the courts can do to punish them.

If someone is content with being homeless then there isn't really much to deter them from begging. its only people that have something to lose who's behaviour can be prevented/restricted. If you have nothing, then there really is nothing to lose.

Ok for starters if they are homeless, and the authorities know who these people are, then nothing can be done. However nothing should be done other than to help them get accommodation. However the people we are dealing with here do have homes and accommodation and just beg to fuel a habit so we can do something about it. For starters the police can watch the CCTV cameras and see them getting drugs from the dealer (this is happening in broad daylight it is very obvious) and then they can do them for possession and the dealers for dealing. They can stop those begging in the city and ban them from the centre of the city. They have done it with one chap already aggressively begging they can do it again. What will this achieve well for starters they are in groups enabling their comrades addictions if you split them up and ban them from the centre it will clean up the centre and maybe force them to change.

For starters the police can watch the CCTV cameras and see them getting drugs from the dealer (this is happening in broad daylight it is very obvious) and then they can do them for possession and the dealers for dealing.

I share your frustration, but I doubt that the drugs would be seen when watching from a CCTV camera, so maybe no legal basis to search them, and proving who gave it to them would be nigh on impossible.

Plus if they planned to use the cameras for this reason they would need to apply for advanced authority to do so, they cant just start watching people just in the hope of catching them drug dealing (the liberals amongst us don't allow that). All of that information to gain the authority would take a lot of time, which is what they don't seem to have, especially when they are in demand by every else for every other problem as well.

Ok for starters if they are homeless, and the authorities know who these people are, then nothing can be done. However nothing should be done other than to help them get accommodation. However the people we are dealing with here do have homes and accommodation and just beg to fuel a habit so we can do something about it. For starters the police can watch the CCTV cameras and see them getting drugs from the dealer (this is happening in broad daylight it is very obvious) and then they can do them for possession and the dealers for dealing. They can stop those begging in the city and ban them from the centre of the city. They have done it with one chap already aggressively begging they can do it again. What will this achieve well for starters they are in groups enabling their comrades addictions if you split them up and ban them from the centre it will clean up the centre and maybe force them to change.

I'm sure many of us could give descriptipns of drug dealers too. It's so in the open that anyone with eyes is witnessing it....yet nothing seems to be done. If someone is openly dealimg drugs, with no regard to passers by seeing, in broad daylight in a shopping area, then we really have hit rock bottom in terms of the law holdin any power whatsoever.

It needs action- not promises of 'action plans' or anyrhong like that- it needs police responding to reports and actively arresting these dealers.

Getting rid of commissioners I agree, they are just a way for politicians to influence policing, but policing should be impartial of politics.

But whats all this talk of 1st class travel? Are you referring to cops travelling by air/train when on duty, or for their own recreational holidays?

I seriously doubt that they get 1st class travel. But I do know that if someone has to fly as part of the FCO (Foreign Commonwealth Office) then the FCO book business class flights, but only if they are available for that flight. I have experience of doing this, but then for the job I had to do when I got there then not even 1st class travel would make me do it again. But for that period of time you are effectively employed by the FCO. But I seriously doubt that cops get this kind of travel.

Please tell us more.

Ok, well as I said,"unless I have been lied to", It's what I read in the media that they go first or business on flights and first on trains, when they are on duty of course. I certainly don't believe everything the media puts out but they usually have some truth in there somewhere.

Have you called 101 to report the drug dealing you've witnessed?

Of course - and I would encourage everyone else to as well.

Sadly, they're all still there, weeks later - same places, same people - no changes.

I can't figure that one out at all; I'm surely not the only one to report this (I know for a fact that local businesses and shops are reporting drug dealing all the time), so surely making arrests of these people would be incredibly easy?

Police have descriptions, places, times - it's an easy arrest stat for them.

I was furious when I saw it going on with children playing around them. If that's the sort of thing the city centre has going on, in broad daylight, openly, why would anyone want to bring their families to Sheffield centre?!

Of course - and I would encourage everyone else to as well.

Sadly, they're all still there, weeks later - same places, same people - no changes.

I can't figure that one out at all; I'm surely not the only one to report this (I know for a fact that local businesses and shops are reporting drug dealing all the time), so surely making arrests of these people would be incredibly easy?

Police have descriptions, places, times - it's an easy arrest stat for them.

I was furious when I saw it going on with children playing around them. If that's the sort of thing the city centre has going on, in broad daylight, openly, why would anyone want to bring their families to Sheffield centre?!

Its the same everywhere. Its a national problem and I suspect a consequence of "austerity".

Its the same everywhere. Its a national problem and I suspect a consequence of "austerity".

its a consequence of people giving them money and, them "Beggars" choosing a drug fuelled life style.